Do you also experience extreme muscle pain and feel tired after your workout sessions? Are you looking for ways to get rid of that?
Well, you have come to the right place! This article consists of simple yet effective workout stretch moves for your whole body. Stretching before and after a workout has many benefits on your body and it can even improve your performance the next time you start your workout session. You do not have to spend too much time on post-workout stretch moves, just 10-15 minutes is enough.
You can even include these workout stretch moves in your workout and get the most of it.
Body stretching is a form of physical exercise in which a particular muscle group or tendon is stretched. This is done to improve flexibility and elasticity. Classical stretch workouts are just as effective and beneficial as this.
Mainly, there are two types of stretching: Dynamic and Static stretching.
|Dynamic Stretching||Static Stretching|
|It is energetically moving muscles and joints with particular motions.||It is moving a joint as far as possible.|
|It is done for a longer period than static stretching.||It is done for a short time, usually 20 to 60 seconds.|
|It improves speed and tightens your muscles.||It is effective for increasing flexibility.|
|It brings your heart rate up and warms up your muscles.||It makes your muscles relaxed and cools you down|
|It is done before a workout.||It is done after a workout.|
|Examples- walking lunge, torso twist, leg swing||Examples- biceps stretch, posterior capsule stretch|
Benefits of workout stretch moves
- Reduces risk of injury
- Increases performance
- Increases flexibility and mobility
- Increases muscle control
- Increases range of motion
- Enables your muscles to work more effectively
- Increases blood circulation
- Reduces stress
- Gives you a better posture
- Prevents back pain and shoulder pain
- Reduces your risk of muscle strain
- Decreases tension headaches
- Calms your mind
- Can shorten your recovery time
- Reduces muscle soreness
10 Post workout stretch moves for whole body
1. Lunge with spinal twist
Target- Quads, Glutes, Core, Hip flexors
- Stand tall and take a big step forward with your right leg.
- Bend your right knee and take a lunge position while keeping your left leg straight behind you.
- Your toes should be on the ground and put stress on the front of your left thigh.
- Place your left hand on your waist and twist your upper body to the right.
- Hold that position for 60 seconds and repeat the same on the other side.
Advantages- It improves mobility and digestion. It builds up strength by increasing muscle mass and tones your body. It makes your hips more flexible and burns belly fat. It also detoxifies your internal organs.
Tip- Bring your back knee to the ground if you are unable to straighten your leg.
2. Cobbler’s Stretch
Target- Hips, Inner thighs, Groin muscles
- Sit down, bend your knees and bring the soles of your feet together.
- Let your knees fall out to either side and draw your feet in close to your body.
- Press the outer edges of feet together, making sure they are open like a book and sit straight.
- Be in that position for 1-2 minutes and keep taking long breaths.
Advantages- It increases hips flexibility and helps to relieve fatigue. It stimulates the heart, abdominal organs and improves blood circulation. It eases childbirth and soothes menstrual discomfort.
Tip- You can place a small table or box under your knees if you find it difficult.
3. Child’s Pose
Target- Thighs, Abs, Back, Butt/Hips
- Kneel on the floor and sit on your heels.
- Place your feet side by side and separate your knees.
- Lay your torso between your thighs and bow down with your hands above your head.
- Press back slightly to keep your butt in contact with your heels and keep taking deep breaths during the whole exercise.
- Close your eyes and relax your lower back. Stay in that position for 1-2 minutes.
Advantages- It reduces stress and fatigue. It relaxes the front body muscles and stretches the back torso muscles. It can relieve back pain, neck pain and restores balance. It calms and soothes your brain and mood.
Tip- If you are unable to rest your butt on your heels then place a folded blanket in between to give you better support.
4. Cobra Stretch
Target- Back, Spine
- Lie down facing the ground with your palms flat on the ground directly under your shoulders. Bend your elbows straight back, hug them back into your sides.
- Look straight down with your neck in a neutral position and lift your chest off the floor.
- Keep breathing and stay in that position for 30-40 seconds.
Advantages- It strengthens spine muscles and increases their mobility. It tones the buttocks and stimulates abdominal organs. It helps to relieve back pain, stress and fatigue. It opens the heart, lungs and soothes sciatica.
Tip- If you cannot lift your chest then make sure that the legs and pelvis are rooted into the floor and put pressure on them to raise your chest.
5. Downward Facing Dog
Target- Upper and Lower Body
- Get on all four and curl your toes under.
- Form a V shape by straightening your legs and back. Hands should be open, placed on the ground and the head should be in between.
- Stay in that position for 30-60 seconds and keep breathing.
Advantages- It increases the strength of the external oblique abdominal muscles and relieves back pain.
Tip- You can bend your knees if you have tight hamstrings.
6. Cat-Cow Pose
Target- Spine, Shoulders, Neck
- Get on all 4 and move into cow pose(facing the ground), press your chest forward, lift your sit bones upward and suck your belly inside.
- Lift your head, relax your shoulders and move into cat pose(facing the ceiling) while rounding your spine outward and drawing your pubic bone forward.
- Stay in each pose for 30-60 seconds.
Advantages- It releases the tension of the upper back and neck. This stretching workout also improves your blood circulation and strengthens your spine.
Tip- You can place a small chair under your back if you have difficulty in maintaining the cat pose.
7. Knee Hug
Target- Hamstring, Thighs, Lower Back
- Lie down facing the ceiling and bend your knees.
- Lift your knees towards your chest, place your hands around both knees and draw them toward your chest.
- Stay in that position for 30-40 seconds.
Advantages- It tightens the muscles of the lower body and improves flexibility.
Tip- Avoid leaning too far forward and keep your chest up throughout the whole exercise.
8. Standing Forward Bend
Target- Hamstring, Back muscles, Glutes
- Stand tall and raise your hands above your head.
- Place your feet side by side and your legs should be straight.
- Go down and touch your feet with your hands.
- Do not bend your knees when you go down and contract your abdominal muscles as you get up slowly.
Advantages- This stretching workout lengthens and stretches your calves and hamstrings. It makes you feel relaxed and relieves stress.
Tip- It is fine to bend your knees slightly if you are having difficulty.
9. Lying Straight Leg
Target- Internal and external obliques, Rectus Abdominis
- Lay down facing the ceiling and firmly place your feet side by side.
- Your hands should be placed by your sides.
- Slowly raise your legs upwards and keep breathing.
- Stay in that position for 20-30 seconds and repeat.
Advantages- It helps to lose weight from the legs and lower abdomen. It is also effective for lower abs.
Tip- You can take support of a wall if you find it difficult.
10. Runner’s Lunge
Target- Hip flexors, Calves, Ankles, Groin
- Take a plank position and hands should be below shoulders.
- Step your left foot forward to the outer edge and your right foot should be on the balls of your foot at the back.
- Relax your hips, back and breathe throughout the exercise.
- Stay in that position for 30-60 seconds.
Advantages- It improves your flexibility and opens the front of your hips.
Tip- Do not lean too forward and keep your core tight.
Take a rest between the exercises and do 2-3 sets of each exercise. You can try classical stretch workouts which are more beneficial for old people. You can buy stretching props such as elastic bands from Sit and be fit tone and stretch workout website.
These workout stretch moves will keep you fit and healthy. You can add more workout stretch moves like triceps stretch, quad stretch, shoulder stretch, pelvic stretch, etc. Even classical stretch workouts work the same as these workout stretch moves. These stretch workouts will also increase your life expectancy.
Be sure to consult a doctor in case of extreme pain and Start now!