20-Minute Cycling Workout is a fun activity that can be done both indoors and outdoors. It is a popular cardio workout that can be done by people of all age groups but not all exercises are satisfactory and fitting for everyone so it is recommended for you to take into consideration factors such as your energy, flexibility, configuration, orientation, strength, speed rate, pedaling rate, and overall well-being.
A stationary bicycle or an exercise bike is a much safer option to go for than an actual bicycle. It can be easily handled by people who have trouble balancing a cycle. You can decide what you want to do whether it is high-intensity interval training(HIIT) or low-impact workouts. HIIT includes intense strenuous exercises with short-term recovery periods that burn fats faster while low-impact workouts include exercises that are easier to catch up but the weight loss process is slow.
The basics of 20-Minute Cycling Workoutt or indoor air bike workout!
- Pacing means going slowly at first and then increasing the speed gradually till the end. It saves up your fuel energy which enables you to last longer.
- Resistance means the burden or continuous pressure you are cycling with. More the resistance, slower the pedaling rate.
- RPM is the abbreviation of revolutions per minute. It is the number of turns made by you in 1 minute. It is also termed cadence.
- Warming up is just paddling with normal resistance so that you can be prepared for the rest of the session.
- Climbing in a stationary bike is after the concept of climbing a hill in an actual bicycle. You have put a lot of your body weight on your legs as if you are going up and paddle as fast as you can. Focus on your quadriceps which will increase your calorie burns.
- Sprints include lowering down your resistance and increasing your cadence. Keep sitting and paddle as fast as possible till you reach about 20-30 revolutions.
- Jogs include standing up while riding the bicycle with your hips just above the paddles, shoulders down, and face up. You have to keep the resistance medium and feel it.
- Resting is the recovery period after an intense exercise. You have to paddle normally while keeping your hands off the handle and gain some energy.
- Cooling down is to end the session by paddling with a bit of high resistance and taking long breaths.
20-minute workout session
After comprehending the basics concepts, you are all set to have a joyride!
- Warm-up for 3 minutes. (0:00- 3:00)
- Increase the speed and paddle for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. (3:00-5:30)
- Take a rest for 30 seconds. (5:30-6:00)
- Do Climbs for 1 minute. (6:00-7:00)
- Rest for 30 seconds. (7:00-7:30)
- Do sprints for 1 minute. (7:30-8:30)
- Rest for 30 seconds. (8:30-9:00)
- Climbs for 1 minute. (9:00-10:00)
- Rest for 30 seconds. (10:00-10:30)
- Sprints for 1 minute. (10:30-11:30)
- Rest for 30 seconds. (11:30-12:00)
- Do jogging for 2 minutes. (12:00-14:00)
- Rest for 30 seconds. (14:00-14:30)
- Climbs for 1 minute. (14:30-15:30)
- Rest for 30 seconds. (15:30-16:00)
- Sprints for 1 minute.(16:00-17:00)
- Rest for 30 seconds. (17:00-17:30)
- Jogs for 1 minute. (17:30-18:30)
- Rest for 30 seconds. (18:30-19:00)
- Cool down for 1 minute. (19:00-20:00)
This workout is effortless and for each exercise try anywhere between 10-25 RMPs. To boost up your confidence and stamina, make sure to play some fast pop music. The musical beats make you feel enthusiastic and facilitate aerobic or HIIT workouts.
Benefits of indoor cycling
This Indoor Cycling workout gives a lot of benefits, including:
- Safety- Riding a stationary bicycle at home is a lot safer than riding bicycles on-road or hills. You prevent yourself from serious injuries and less strain is caused.
- Strength and stamina- As you start to make cycling a habit, your stamina improves. Strength and aerobic fitness also boost up.
- Intensity- Depending on your intensity, you can train yourself for a particular purpose like HIIT to lose calories or low-intensity training if you want to recover from your past injuries.
- Body-weight- If you are obese then cycling can help you lose a lot of weight and you can get fit. Cycling twice a day will provide better results.
- Cardiovascular diseases- Cycling strengthens the muscles of your heart, improves blood circulation, lowers the resting pulse, keeps your heart healthy, and makes you less prone to diseases like heart attack, high blood pressure, and stroke.
- Mental fitness- After a good ride, there will be an increase in happy hormones like endorphins, dopamine, and serotonin. They make you happy and act as antidepressants.
- Joint mobility- Cycling increases your flexibility which provides you with a great range of movements. It mainly focuses on weight-bearing joints like knees, hips, feet and helps you get rid of joint pain.
After completing the workout, take enough rest, have some water and food. In case a particular exercise causes you pain, discontinue it immediately and skip to the next exercise. The above-mentioned workout session can be followed by anyone and they do not even require any professional skills.