Coffee has always been the go-to beverage for instant energy. The caffeine present in coffee not only helps in increasing alertness, focus but also increases cognitive functions and promotes weight loss.
However, a recent statistic revealed that people nowadays are shifting more towards other alternatives for their daily boost of vivacity.
Surprised? Well, there is no doubt that caffeine provides numerous benefits to its consumer but a moderate cup of coffee is enough to leave you jittery and agitated throughout the day. Also not to mention the bitter taste that comes from your usual morning cup of joe.
Therefore, if you are also curious to know more about some of the healthy alternatives that can replace your daily dose of energy boost, continue reading the article then as we share some of the best alternatives.
5 Coffee alternatives to try
1. Chicory coffee
Just like the coffee beans, chicory roots can also be roasted, grounded, and brewed into a delicious beverage. Chicory coffee has a similar taste to regular coffee but minus the caffeine content.
Benefits of chicory coffee
- The chicory root is a great source of fiber, therefore it helps in aiding digestive health. Inulin fiber which is a type of probiotic helps in boosting the functions of the gut.
- Chicory coffee can help in lowering or maintaining the normal blood sugar levels in the bloodstream.
- Chicory roots help in decreasing inflammation.
How to make chicory coffee?
- Buy fresh chicory roots from the market and cut them into small and equal pieces.
- Now roast the pieces at 360° until they change their color to a golden brown.
- Once roasted to perfection, grind them into a fine powder.
- If you are just starting to use chicory powder as your black coffee substitute, then add the powder to your regular coffee powder in 4:1.
Slowly, you won’t have to add the coffee powder anymore.
- Now brew your coffee like your regular coffee and serve it hot with your favorite toppings or foamed milk.
Chicory coffee does provide abundant benefits to its consumer but it can also trigger several allergic reactions in people, causing symptoms like swelling of the mouth and severe pain and tingling sensations. Also, chicory coffee is not recommended for pregnant women.
2. Matcha tea
Matcha tea is marketed as a more healthy version of the already healthy green tea. The matcha tea is made by steaming, drying, and grinding the leaves of Camellia sinensis into a fine powder.
Benefits of matcha tea
- Matcha tea is packed with antioxidants which help in combating damage caused due to free radicals.
- Reduces the risk of heart ailments.
- Aids weight loss and improves focus and alertness.
How to make matcha tea?
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of matcha powder into a bowl.
- Now add 2oz of warm water to the bowl.
- With the help of a bamboo whisk, whisk vigorously to get a frothy consistency.
- Now you can add warm water as required and your matcha is ready to drink.
Matcha tea is a great alternative for coffee, but if you are someone who is looking for an alternative to reduce your caffeine intake, then matcha tea may not be the best option for you. Matcha tea has a high caffeine intake, even more than coffee.
3. Golden milk
This warm beverage incorporates invigorating spices like ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric with the goodness of milk.
Benefits of golden milk
- Act as an anti-aging tonic.
- Turmeric has antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties and therefore helps in the healing process and can also fight off infections and injuries.
How to make golden milk?
- Add milk to a pan on medium heat.
- After 2-3 minutes, add turmeric powder to it.
- Now add crushed green cardamom pods, ginger slices, black peppercorns, and 2 cinnamon sticks.
- You can also add any sweetener of your choice.
- Whisk all the ingredients together and it should be boiled at a low simmer for 5 minutes.
- Get it off the heat and let all the flavors soaked in for another 5 minutes and your beverage is ready.
People with lactose intolerance should however abstain from golden milk.
4. Yerba mate
Made from the dried leaves of the South American holly tree, Ilex paraguariensis, yerba mate is a naturally caffeinated herbal tea
Benefits of yerba mate
- Boosts energy and enhances stamina for physical performances.
- Aids in concentration and focus and reduces fatigue.
- Yerba mate can also help in weight loss.
How to make yerba mate?
- Fill a cured mate cup just over half full with yerba mate.
- Now tilt the gourd so that the tea covers the side and reaches the top.
- Now pour some warm water onto the bottom half of the drink.
- Now let the yerba mate leaves absorb the water.
- Now strain the mixture and add warm water and your preferred sweetener to the mix.
Despite having several health benefits, yerba mate should be drunk in moderation as excess consumption can increase the risk of cancer.
Kombucha is a beverage that is made by fermenting black tea with yeast, bacteria, and sugar.
The fermentation is achieved by the symbiotic colony between bacteria and yeast known as SCOBY.
Benefits of kombucha
- Helps in boosting metabolism and ameliorates symptoms of constipation.
- Reduces inflammation and can also reduce the risk of chronic ailments like cancer.
- Strengthen the immune system and boosts cardiovascular health
- Provides effective results in depression treatments.
- Kombucha promotes liver health and also lowers blood sugar in the bloodstream.
- Kombucha also has shown satisfactory results for weight loss.
How to make kombucha?
- Prepare black tea in a pot.
- Now add a SCOBY to the pot. You can purchase SCOBY online or prepare it at home.
- Let the mixture ferment for 7-10 days.
- However, 5 days into fermentation, keep tasting your kombucha, so that you know the perfect taste of your drink. It should not be either too sweet or acidic.
- Once the perfect taste has been reached, remove the SCOBY and a cup of the prepared fermented tea.
- You can add more flavors to your mixture or transfer the plain kombucha to a separate bottle.
- Store in the refrigerator and your beverage is all ready to be sipped on for the rest of the day.
However, making kombucha at home is not usually recommended due to the high risk of contamination from pathogens. You can easily buy your set of kombucha online.
Now there you go, some effective and healthy alternatives to coffee. Now you know what to go for when you need your daily dose of energy shot.