As the flu season arrives or even a slight change in the weather or if by chance you consume something too cold after intaking something hot and the first thing you observe is that you are having a sore throat. Sounds very relatable, right?
Throat pain is the most common symptom that anyone notices when suffering from cold and cough. Although considered harmless, we have to admit that it is extremely uncomfortable to have throat pain.
Throat pain can be caused due to cold or can be a symptom of some underlying ailment. Whatever the reason be if you are suffering from throat pain, keep on reading the article to find some useful tips to treat throat pain naturally.
What is throat pain and causes of it?
Throat pain is a dry, sore and scratchy feeling in the throat. It is considered to be one of the most common symptoms for any underlying ailment and did you know, it accounts for more than 13 million visits to the doctor every year worldwide?
Throat pain can be divided into three categories depending upon the area of the throat where it got affected.
- Pharyngitis- The area right behind your mouth gets affected.
- Tonsillitis- Swelling and redness occur in the tonsils, the soft tissue right in the back of the mouth.
- Laryngitis- Swelling and redness of the voice box or larynx occur.
Causes of sore throat are varied and some of the most common factors are:
- Viral infections are the most common reason for causing a sore throat in a person resulting in 90 per cent of throat pain cases. Common cold, influenza, measles, chickenpox and mumps are the viruses which cause throat pain.
- Bacterial infections are second on the list attributing to more than 40 per cent cases of throat pain.
- When the immune system in the body reacts to allergens, it releases chemicals that cause nasal congestion, watery eyes and throat pain.
- If you are someone who has to go out in dry air, then take proper precautions with you as it has been seen that dry air sucks out the moisture from mouth and throat leaving it dry and scratchy.
- Smoke, chemicals and other environmental factors can also lead to the condition of a sore throat.
- A person can suffer from throat pain if he or she yells, talks loudly or sings for a long period of time. No wonder teachers and fitness instructors always complain about having throat pain.
- Though considered to be a rare cause, Gastroesophageal reflux disease can also be counted as a cause for throat pain. The regurgitation of acid in the throat causes burns and uneasiness.
- One of the most serious causes of sore throat in a person is having a tumour formation in the voice box, throat or larynx. If you suffer throat pain for tumour formation, then the pain does not go away even after days.
Symptoms of throat pain
- Unbearable pain and uneasiness in the throat.
- Scratchy and dry sensation
- Difficulty in swallowing.
- Worsening of the condition during talking or any other normal activities.
- Swollen glands in neck and jaw.
- A hoarse and muffled voice.
Home remedies for throat pain
Most of the throat pain can go away naturally within days, however, following some of these remedies at home can help you to quicken the healing process and get your desired result faster in the stipulated time.
Some of the most common home remedies for throat pain are:
- Gargling with salt water
One of the most trusted home remedies to treat throat pain is to gargle with salt water.
Salt is known for antibacterial properties and it reduces the swelling and inflammation of throat tissues by pulling the microbes out of the system.
Mix 1/4th teaspoon of salt in a cup of hot water and gargle it for at least two to three times a day for added benefits.
You may not get immediate results but soon you will get your desired results. It rinses away the bacteria and also neutralises the acidity that has been causing the throat pain.
- Consume warm liquids
Consuming warm liquids such as teas and soups can help you to clear the mucus stuck in your throat and help you to ameliorate the throat pain.
Teas have always been the go-to drink whenever someone suffers from a sore throat. You can choose from a wide range of herbal teas that can provide you with your desired results.
- Clover tea and green tea are famed for their anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can provide instant relief from throat pain.
- Chamomile, raspberry and peppermint tea are also excellent options to fight against throat pain.
Chamomile tea serves as a natural lubricant and helps to fix hoarse voice while on the other hand peppermint tea provides a coolness to the throat and relieves it from congestion and pain.
Another one of the most trusted remedies to be used against throat pain is honey. Honey is abundant with anti-bacterial properties and acts as a wound healer immediately providing relief and reducing inflammation in the sore throat. It kills bacteria and fights off viral infections and can also be extensively used in treating cough.
Mix two tablespoons of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and consume it for three days continuously on an empty stomach in the morning to provide an effective solution against throat pain.
You can also include a slice of lemon to the concoction as lemons are packed with Vitamin C and will help you to boost your immune system to fight against the infections.
- Hot sauce
Got surprised to find a fiery condiment in the list of remedies to fight off a sore throat. Well don’t be, hot sauce has proven it’s merit to be included in this list. They are made from peppers which are rich in capsaicin that acts effectively well in fighting off inflammation and also alleviates pain really well.
- Turmeric milk
The list cannot be completed without including the most trusted remedy of all that is turmeric milk, which according to Ayurveda is considered as a natural antibiotic. Turmeric milk has been extensively used in ancient medications as it can reduce pain and inflammations and effectively treat sore throat, pain and even persistent cough.
Apart from the above-mentioned home remedies, also keep in mind to stay away from people who are suffering from cold, cough and flu. Avoid spicy or acidic foods and chemical smokes that can increase the inflammation in the throat and aggravate the condition further.
A sore throat can be easily cured with the help of some simple home remedies, however, that being said, if none of the above solutions seems to work for you and further worsening of the condition is observed then it is best to consult a doctor for proper medications and treatments.