Squats are arguably one of the best workouts that helps in providing abundant benefits to its practitioners. This compound workout not only works on the lower half of the body but also helps in developing balance, flexibility and boosts the overall strength of the body. Thus, to get maximum benefits you need to improve your squat workout. We have listed down 5 Ways To Improve Your Squat Strength.
However, according to fitness trainers, this one exercise, if performed incorrectly, will not be able to provide the benefits that it claims to provide and can even prove to be dangerous for the practitioners.
Therefore, if you feel that your squat gains have stalled and you do not have any clue on how to improve your squat workouts, then you have stumbled upon just the right article for you, friend!
But, before we move further into the topic, let us first look at some basics of the squat workout.
ABCs of the squat workout!
1. What muscles do squats work on?
The squat is considered a compound exercise which means the exercise works on different muscle groups across multiple joints.
However, the primary muscles that it produces effects on are the quadriceps and the glutes muscles. It also produces effects on the hamstrings, hip flexors, muscles around the knee and the core muscles too.
2. What are the benefits of doing squats?
If you have ever wondered that squats can be an overhyped exercise, then here are some of its benefits for you to consider
- Squats help in strengthening the core muscles. It helps in activating the muscles that help in supporting the back and reduces the risk of injuries in the long run.
- Incorporating squats in a routine boosts the strength of tendons, ligaments and bones.
- Performing compound exercises like squats helps in burning calories more than any other exercise.
- For athletes or those involved in the sports profession, including squats in daily routine improves athletic ability and strength.
- Bodyweight squats can be performed anywhere at any time. You just need enough room to lower your body in a sitting position and therefore help in providing the claimed benefits on the go!
3. How to perform a basic squat exercise?
As mentioned previously, the posture involved in the squat workout is of utmost importance and therefore without incorporating any varieties of squat, let us look at the steps that are involved in performing the basic squat workout.
- The feet should be placed at the shoulder or hip-distance apart and the toes should be slightly turned out.
- The spine should be in a neutral position, shoulders back and chest out.
- Feet should be firmly planted on the ground and you can clasp your hands in the front of your chest for balance.
- Now initiate the movement by pushing your hips towards the ground as if you are trying to sit on an invisible chair.
- Bend knees to lower down your body as much as possible and keep your chest lifted in a controlled manner.
- Hold the position for 3 seconds and then lift your body to the original position.
- Repeat the process for a minute. And as your strength increases, you can increase the count.
Also read: Learn About The Workout Wonder: Kang Squat
5 Ways To Improve Your Squat Strength?
Now that we have the basics of the squat workout out of our way, let us now look at some of the measures that can help you to improve your squat workout.
1. Work on your technique:
We can never stress enough the fact that it is essential to have the right technique while performing squats. If your technique is poor, no matter how much weight or practice you include, you will end up having injuries.
There are very simple cues that you need to follow your squat workout. Keep your chest up, hips back and knees out. Hinge your hips while sitting down and force your body to sit into a quad-dominant squatting pattern instead of a vertical position.
2.Increase your squatting frequency:
Squatting more than once a week can help you to improve your squat strength. When we initially start squatting, practising twice a week can help you to provide your desired results, however, as you slowly start progressing, you must increase your squatting frequency.
You can try to perform 50 squats per day or achieve a little higher record than this over a week. You can play with the tempo, reps and sets.
3.Try to include different variations of squats in your regime:
One of the biggest obstacles in any form of an exercise regime is boredom. Many practitioners just for the lack of variety often tend to avoid a certain exercise. However, squats have different variations.
You can even create an entire workout routine by just including the different squat variations. Including different variations can not only boost the burning of calories but also helps in targeting different muscle groups.
4. Up your weights:
For a beginner, performing bodyweight squats can provide you with desired results but since we are focusing on how we can improve our squat strength, one of the best ways to do so is by increasing the weight while squatting.
As you increase your capabilities, try to challenge yourself more. Add dumbbells, kettlebells or bars while squatting. Increasing the weight can help you to up the game. However, we do recommend you to increase the weight as capability and take the development slowly and steadily.
5. Push your boundaries:
Like as mentioned previously, as you start nailing the techniques and start to increase your capabilities, try to slowly push your boundaries. For example, try to squat deeper. This will help you to burn more fat as well as help in building muscles faster.
And to include a few quick tips: after getting down, when returning to your original position, try to push the floor out with your feet. This will help in activating the correct muscles that are required for proper squat and will also take the unnecessary pressure from your knees.
Also, when you rise from a squat, clench your glute muscles. This might look like a small change but trust us when we say it can drastically change the effectiveness of the squat exercise.
Now there you go, some effective measures that can help you to improve your squat strength. Include these small measures in your daily regime and bask in the magic that it provides.
However, we do recommend you to take the developments steadily and do not hastily incorporate all the above measures in your exercise creating unnecessary pressure on your body.