While growing up, how many times have you heard that having greasy food can cause a breakout? What on Earth is this breakout? Well, people use the generalized term “breakout” to describe all sorts of acne but in reality, the description is not that accurate. You might think that every kind of acne can spread across your skin but that is not so. Acne is usually attributed to fluctuations in the hormone level and some other causes might also be responsible, such as:
- excess production of oil and sebum
- dead skin cells
- ingrown hairs
Acne is one of the most common skin diseases in adults as well as kids. But they are not that serious and can be treated. Today, we will tell you all about these little devils that spring up on your skin from time to time and we will also explore some ways to remove acne–so, let’s get started.
What kind of acne have you got?
As we said, acne can be of different types but they are broadly divided into two sections: inflammatory and non-inflammatory. The subtypes of these two categories are:
A person can suffer from more types of acne than just one. These are some types of acne on face:
Blackheads and whiteheads are the most painless types of acne and they fall under the category of non-inflammatory acne. They are treatable and respond to over-the-counter creams that you can find at your nearest drugstore.
Salicylic acid is the key ingredient that you must look for while buying a product for your acne troubles. It works well in case of non-inflammatory acne and also removes dead cells and exfoliates the skin.
Red, swollen and angry pimples are defined as inflammatory acne. Several bacteria can clog up the pores and sweat and sebum will collect in them, causing a buildup of dirt and grime. The bacteria contribute to an infection thread that goes deep into the skin. This is why, if you pop a red pimple, you will find an acne scar that is oh-so-difficult to get rid of.
Benzoyl peroxide is a powerful ingredient that soothes the swelling and gets rid of the bacteria that has been the root cause for your pimples. Topical retinoids can also be used for combatting inflammatory papules and pustules.
The difference between papules and pustules is that pustules can be filled with pus. Nodules are large acne that goes deep into the skin. Nodules cannot be treated at home and if you have nodules, you need to visit your physician to cure them with prescription medicine. Cysts are large red or white bumps that are caused by severe infection and are the largest type of acne. Cysts almost always leave a scar and in some serious cases, doctors resort to different procedures to remove the cysts.
How much chance do you have of developing toe?
To know the probability of you having the different types of acne, you need to be mindful of the various risk factors that are present for this condition:
- hormonal fluctuations caused due to puberty or pregnancy
- using certain chemical-based medications, such as certain birth control pills
- having a diet high in refined sugars or carbohydrates, such as bread and chips
- having parents who had a serious condition of acne
You are most at risk for developing acne if you are going through puberty. During this time, your body undergoes several hormonal changes to accommodate the onset of reproductive maturity. These changes can often trigger increased oil production, leading to an increased chance of blockage of the skin pores, and therefore, more risk of acne. Hormonal acne related to puberty usually subsides or at least improves when you reach adulthood.
Ways for remove acne
Acne is a common problem that affects many people all around the world. To treat acne, researchers have come up with several methods that have proven to be quite useful. Of course, your skin is unique and just because the solutions helped someone does not mean they will give the same results on you. So, you need to experiment and find the best cure for acne that is suited to you. We are going to tell you about various methods: some are homemade ways while some are chemically formulated solutions. You need to find the one that proves to be the best for you.
Homely tips to remove acne
There are a few ways and activities that you can try at home to prevent breakout and cure your acne problems. The home remedies for acne include:
- Cleansing your skin with a bar of mild soap daily to remove excess oil and grime
- Applying shampoo regularly (at least twice or thrice every week)
- Using skin-friendly makeup that’s water-based or labelled “non-comedogenic”
- Not squeezing or voluntarily bursting pimples, because this can spread bacteria and excess oil
- Not wearing second-hand hats or other headgears that have been worn by others
- Not touching your face all the time because your hand contains many germs
Medication tips to remove acne on face
If you find that your at-home anti-acne methods are not giving you the desired results within a window period of a week or two, go for some medications which contain certain ingredients that can kill the bacteria or prevent the build-up of dirt on your skin:
- Benzoyl peroxide is a very common ingredient, present in many acne-fighting creams and gels. It’s used for drying out existing pimples and preventing the breakout of new ones. Benzoyl peroxide also kills infection-causing bacteria.
- Sulfur is a natural ingredient with a distinctive smell that’s found in some lotions, cleansers, and masks. This yellow element can be amazingly effective to prevent the formation of new acne on your skin. But you must be cautious because too much sulfur can be coarse for your skin.
- Resorcinol is a less common ingredient that is primarily used to remove dead skin cells. This way, the cells are eliminated from the surface of your skin and they cannot block the pores anymore, thus lessening the chances of a breakout.
- Salicylic acid is often used in soaps and anti-acne face washes. It helps prevent pores from getting blocked by dirt and pollutants. It is one of the major ingredients that everyone needs to check for while buying creams for curing their acne problems.
Besides these methods, you can also seek for some laser treatments that can reduce or maybe even eliminate the chances of you developing acne ever again.
Photodynamic therapy, dermabrasion, chemical peel are some other methods prescribed by physicians for treating acne. If you wish to go for any of these treatments, visit your nearest doctor and talk to him about all your symptoms.