Among the various types of vinegar, there also is apple cider vinegar, also referred to as cider vinegar, is a vinegar whose main constituent is apple. This vinegar adds an additional kick to the dishes. When in dilute form, it tastes quite refreshing, tangy, and with a slight hint of acidity. But apart from adding a great taste, it has numerous health benefits which include curing of certain diseases, which includes ear infections too.
What causes ear infection?
An ear infection is caused by various reasons such as cold, excess mucus formation, allergies, or sinus infection. Due to one of these reasons, the eustachian tube, which runs from each ear directly to the back of our throat, gets blocked. Due to this blockage, fluid starts to fill in the middle ear causing ear infection.
Symptoms of ear infection
- The building up of fluid causes immense pain and irritability in the ears.
- A child who is down with an ear infection may get a fever.
- An infant suffering from an ear infection might pull or tug at their ears.
- There will be ringing in the ears due to which hearing will be difficult.
- Ear infection in adults is accompanied by fever, nausea, or vomiting.
How is apple cider vinegar made?
Though apple cider vinegar is easily available in the market nowadays, making your own outstands all of the store-bought ones. When you think of making your apple cider vinegar, you must be thinking of going through a lot of different steps and the addition of some unheard ingredients, etc. You will be surprised to know that this recipe only requires apples and apple’s acidity.
You will require:
- 3 cups of chopped apples (with skin)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of honey or sugar
- 3 to 4 cups of sterilized warm water
Steps to make cider vinegar
- Fill a clean mason jar with apples until 1/4th amount of space is left on the top.
- In order to sterilize the water, first, you must boil the water and then bring it to a warm level of temperature. Add sugar or honey to the water and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Pour the sugar and water solution over the apples leaving 3 inches of room at the top.
- Cover it with a cheesecloth and seal the cheesecloth to the jar with a rubber band. Keep the jar in a warm dark place for up to 2 weeks.
- During 2 weeks of fermentation, the apples let out their entire acidity into the water. After 2 weeks, strain the liquid into another jar and slightly press the apples to let out the soaked water from them.
- Repeat the step with the fermented water by covering it with a new cheesecloth and resting it in a dark warm place for about 4 weeks.
Once done, you will be able to smell the strong aroma of apple cider vinegar. You might keep it longer if the smell has not come out yet.
Can you treat ear infection with apple cider vinegar?
You must have heard that apple cider vinegar has the ability to cure numerous digestion related issues. But did you know that you can treat an ear infection with apple cider vinegar? Though this technique is not 100% accurate, some cases have shown success in using apple cider vinegar for ear infections. Let us read how.
Acid is capable of clearing out bacteria as well as viruses and so does this vinegar. The antibacterial property of the vinegar helps to remove the fluid stuck in the middle ear, preventing the ear from any further damage.
Below are some applications of the apple cider vinegar which you can try during an ear infection:
Lean on one side so as to keep the infected ear facing upward. Mix vinegar and warm water in equal ratios. Put 8 to 10 drops, using a dropper or syringe, into the infected ear. Cover the ear with a cotton ball or a cloth. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Mixing warm water increases the efficiency of the apple cider vinegar.
Rubbing alcohol is a surgical spirit that is either isopropyl alcohol or ethanol-based liquid. It can be used directly on wounds to dry them.
Lean on one side so as to keep the infected ear facing upward. Mix vinegar and rubbing alcohol in equal ratios. Put 8 to 10 drops, using a dropper or syringe, into the infected ear. Cover the ear with a cotton ball or a cloth. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Stop copping up with this method if you feel some kind of discomfort in the middle.
Gargling is one of the best home remedies for clearing the cold. Following this remedy acts as extra help in curing ear infections. Mix equal amounts of warm water and apple cider vinegar and gargle for 30 seconds 3 to 4 times. This will give relief to the throat which in turn will benefit the eustachian tube.
Other remedies for curing ear infection
- If you are suffering from terrible ear pain, you may consider taking aspirin.
- For pain associated with the middle ear, put a few drops of warm olive oil or tea tree oil into the ear and stay still for 5 minutes.
Other health benefits of apple cider vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar helps In lowering the blood sugar levels, hence, managing diabetes.
- The acidity in the vinegar helps to cut down the fat level that helps in losing weight.
- Consuming this vinegar regularly helps in maintaining healthy skin as it helps in flushing toxins from the blood.
- Apple cider vinegar helps in maintaining a healthy heart by regulating the blood pressure.
Apple cider vinegar might not be able to cure ear infection entirely but it can to some extent. All the remedies suggested are to be applied to the outer ear only. A doctor’s consultation should not be replaced by this vinegar as some ear infection cases might need more attention than just some homemade cure.