Hair is supposed to be the crowning glory of our body. Happy and bouncy hair can instantly lift someone’s mood whereas a bad hair day can turn anyone’s mood sour. With the high paced lifestyle we live in and with all the pollution around, it really becomes a difficult job to maintain healthy hair. But do you know that there is a secret ingredient that can help you to revitalize your hair back into life and can provide abundant shine and lustre to your hair? Want to know who it is?
The secret ingredient is bananas. Little surprised? Well, abundant in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, bananas provide a boost to the texture, thickness and shine of the hair and are the perfect ingredient that will help you to moisturize and revive the damaged hair back into life.
Then continue reading the article to know more
Why should you use bananas for your hair?
There is a reason people go ‘bananas’ for this ingredient. Not only bananas taste delicious and can be enjoyed by both young and old alike but it also provides abundant benefits for our body, skin and hair.
Some of the key benefits of bananas for our hair are:
- Bananas contain silicon which is an element that enhances the capacity of our body to synthesize collagen. This collagen in return makes our hair stronger and thicker.
- Antimicrobial properties present in bananas heals dry and flaky scalp and also relieves you from problems like fungal infections, dandruff and lice.
- High in vitamin B6, potassium, vitamin C and dietary fibre, bananas help you to moisturize your scalp, hydrate the hair follicles and strengthen your hair roots.
- Bananas improve manageability and shine of the hair and soften the hair follicles. It also protects the natural elasticity of the hair.
DIY hair masks with bananas
Bananas should be eaten raw or in smoothies to ingest all the goodness of this ingredient but many people are allergic to bananas and especially for them, there are various DIY banana hair masks that you can use to treat your hair problems and each of them provides unique benefits for your hair.
Some of the most common banana hair masks are:
- Banana + eggs
If you want to encourage hair growth and want sleek and glossy hair, banana and egg mask is your go-to hair mask then. Egg yolk helps in improving hair growth and being abundant in proteins, eggs also nourish the damaged scalp and adds moisture to the hair follicles.
- 1 or 2 ripe bananas
- One egg
Procedure: Mash the bananas and put them along with cracked egg into a blender. Mix the ingredients until you have a smooth consistency. Apply the mask onto your scalp and split ends and leave it for 10-15 minutes. Rinse it thoroughly with lukewarm water afterwards.
- Banana + honey
Abundant in antioxidants, honey conditions dry and damaged scalp, promotes healing of the scalp and also helps in reduction of fungal infections and dandruff. This mask adds moisture to your dry hair and also improves elasticity simultaneously.
- ½ or 1 tablespoon honey (Market honey is applicable but Manuka honey is considered best for the job)
- 2 ripe bananas
Procedure: Mash the bananas in a blender along honey to get an even consistency and texture. Apply onto your hair strands, leave the mask for 10-15 minutes and then wash it off lukewarm water. You can also use hair conditioner or hair cream afterwards to add extra softness.
- Banana + coconut oil
The best combination to use for a silky, moisturizing treatment is the banana and coconut mask. For all those who worry for dryness and frizziness after bleaching or colouring your hair, this mask helps you to solve all your problems.
Coconut bestowed with abundant nutrients will help you to combat against the damaged scalp. Coconut oil nourishes the scalp and combats scalp infections. This mask can also help you to achieve a long-lasting shine.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil ( make sure to keep the oil at room temperature for better mixing)
- 2 ripe bananas
Procedure: Mash all the ingredients and get a smooth consistency. Apply the mask onto your scalp. If you are suffering from dandruff, after coating your hair with the mask, wear a shower cap. Keep the mask for 15-30 minutes and afterwards rinse it thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Banana + avocado
Avocado is famed worldwide for its abundant health benefits. Bestowed with rich minerals and protein content, avocado conditions and softens hair follicles. If you are looking for a mask that can help to prevent signs of ageing or give you a volume boost, then avocado and banana hair mask is your salvation for the problem.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 ripe bananas
Procedure: Put both the bananas and avocado in a blender and keep it mixing until you get a smooth consistency. Apply the mask onto your hair and leave it for half an hour. After the stipulated time, wash it off lukewarm water and pat dry.
Apart from the above-mentioned banana hair masks, there are some other hair masks that you can also give a try
- Banana and olive oil
- Banana and papaya
- Banana and curd
- Banana and coconut milk
- Banana and aloe vera
- Banana and argan oil
You can also mix all the above ingredients and make a super banana hair mask that can keep all your hair problems at a bay. For that super hair mask, mix all the ingredients into a blender and whip it until it has a smooth consistency. Apply it onto your hair and keep it for at least 45 minutes. After some time, wash it off with lukewarm water thoroughly.
What to keep in mind?
There are certain preventive measures you should definitely keep in mind while using banana hair masks and some of the common tips are:
- Make sure that all the ingredients are mashed into pulp. No chunks should be present in the mixture as sometimes it has been seen that the chunks get attached to the hair and then it gets an extremely difficult task to take them out of the hair.
- Banana hair masks should not be kept on the scalp for long. Do not let them dry on your hair as it will make your removing process difficult.
- It has been observed that people develop severe allergic reactions after applying banana hair masks onto their scalp especially if they are intolerant to latex. Make sure to do a skin test 24 hours prior to application and look out for the allergic symptoms if present.
Now there you go, everything you need to know about DIY banana hair masks. Bananas are abundant with nutrients and micronutrients and can provide wonders for your hair. It will condition, moisturise and revitalise your hair. Now and apply the DIY masks and bask in the magic that they provide.