A good weight loss program always requires lots of dedication and extra hard work. You have to keep a positive and focused mindset, give up on your favorite junk foods, follow a healthy diet, and not forget the rigorous training sessions that you have to go through.
We all know that cardiovascular activities form an indispensable part of any good workout regime for weight loss. The workouts not only help you to get rid of your stubborn blubbers but also helps in enhancing your lung capacity. The benefits of a cardio workout are said to be two-fold, showcasing its magic both internally and externally.
But that being said, performing cardio workouts can be a difficult task as it requires a lot of strength and stamina and following the traditional cardio workouts can be a tad boring sometimes.
Therefore, through this article, we have brought to you a list of some unconventional fat loss cardio workout plans that will help you to make your exercising regimes fun and functional at the same time.
1. High Interval Intensity Training
HIIT cardio workout has been an increasingly popular exercise regime among fitness enthusiasts due to its ability to maximize weight loss and calorie burn.
HIIT involves intense bursts of exercising to increase the heart rate, followed by short intervals of rest.
An example of HIIT routine can include:
- Performing butt kicks for 45 seconds
- Jumping lunges for 45 seconds
- Burpees for 45 seconds
As you complete one exercise, take 15 seconds of rest. The routine usually continues for 20-40 minutes. You can also include mountain climbers and jumping squats to increase the difficulty.
If you do not have time for elaborate exercising, you can also complete a HIIT workout on a treadmill
- Before you start using the treadmill, make sure to warm up first for 5 minutes.
- Sprint at high-intensity speed for a minute
- Take half a minute of rest in between.
- Then again sprint at the high speed for 1 minute. This completes 1 rep
- Follow such reps 8-9 times.
Plyometrics involves high-intensity exercises which help in exerting maximum form in a short time.
This type of training not only helps in increasing muscle power and body control but also boosts calorie burn, therefore increasing the speed of your weight loss program.
A typical plyometric workout plan can include:
- 3 sets of squat jumps of each 45 secs; 15 secs interval in between
- 3 sets of jump lunges of each 45 secs; 15 secs interval in between
- 3 sets of tuck jumps of each 45 secs; 15 secs interval in between
- 3 sets of plyo push-ups of each 45 secs; 15 secs rest interval
- 3 sets of skater jump of each 45 secs; 15 secs rest interval
Always take 2 minutes of rest as you move from one exercise to another. And finish with a 2 minutes cool-down stretch.
Plyometrics involves high-intensity exercises working on almost all the major muscle groups of the body, therefore if you are suffering from any pain, try to avoid it initially. Also, do not forget to warm up before you start doing your plyometrics training as otherwise, it can lead to an increase in the risk of injuries.
3. TABATA workouts
Discovered by a Japanese scientist, Dr. Izumi Tabata, TABATA workouts are a more specific form of HIIT intensity training that helps in increasing both aerobic and anaerobic systems of our body.
These workouts are super intense, promote higher levels of fat loss because a higher metabolic rate is achieved, and are super quick, a typical TABATA workout can last for only 4 minutes.
A typical TABATA workout plan will include
- Plan 1
- Burpees- alternating lunge jumps- mountain climbers- push-ups
- Plan 2
- Tuck jumps- bicycle crunches- high knees- spiderman pushups
- Plan 3
- Box jumps- battle rope waves– jump ropes- Russian twists with dumbbells
TABATA workouts are of high-intensity and therefore should be performed only thrice a week. Make sure you warm up well before exercising and recovery periods are extremely essential in this exercise regime.
The next on the list of cardio workouts for weight loss is one of our personal favorites. Zumba, which is a high-energy aerobic exercise inspired by Latin dancing, is one of the best ways to get rid of those unwanted fats.
One hour of a high-intensity Zumba training session is enough to make you able to burn 600-900 calories in one go.
Some of the other potential benefits of the Zumba workout sessions are:
- Strengthening the core muscles and improving the flexibility of muscles of your lower half.
- Aiding heart health
- Improving concentration and focus
- Boosts energy and has a very positive impact on your mood.
Zumba sessions have been gaining immense popularity over the past few years and therefore most gyms offer Zumba sessions thrice a week. You can also attend Zumba classes.
Things to remember when performing cardio workout session
Apart from the above-mentioned cardio exercises, you can also include cycling, aerobics, swimming, running, and power-walking in your daily regime to cut the monotony of your workout regime.
Also, it is essential to remember that these cardio exercises are of high intensity, therefore there are certain factors that you should keep in mind before performing them:
- Always perform the exercises under the guidance of a certified trainer. Your coach will help you to chalk out a plan of exercise that will provide you with the best of the benefits.
- Before starting the exercises, it is essential to warm up. Warming up will help your muscles and bones to lose their stiffness and the risk of getting an injury will be lessened.
- It is extremely important to have proper resting periods between your cardio days. We all know how tiring a cardio workout regime can be, therefore let your body heal after each session. Also, always listen to your body. If you feel different while performing any of the exercises, discontinue it immediately.
- Avoid performing repetitive exercises focusing on a single muscle group. This will cause the muscles to wear out. Inculcate different exercises so that each of the different muscle groups can be worked upon.
Since these cardio workout regimes help in weight loss, do not forget to eat a healthy diet to accelerate the process.
Hopefully, these unconventional cardio workout routines will help you to break the monotony of your workout sessions. Inculcate these in your weight loss routine and bask in the magic that it provides.