Mesmerizingly sweet and fruity fragrance filling your nostrils, soft music playing in the background and you slowly drifting in sleep is something that you just cannot imagine then hold on, don’t click back because the following guide can just make you change your mind.
Essential oils are slowly creating a new niche for itself in both health and beauty departments and chamomile oil is one of the few pioneers in them. With its warm and aromatic smell and anti-inflammatory properties, chamomile oil has already made its mark and made a permanent spot in our kitchen cabinets. Got inquisitive about it then let’s go and get to know more about this amazing oil. Shall we?
Tidbits about Chamomile Oil!!
Chamomile is an ancient medicinal herb and the use of chamomile oil has been found in the medical texts of ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome. It is an essential oil derived from the flowers of the chamomile plants through a process of steam distillation.
There are basically two varieties of Chamomile found, the first being the Roman chamomile from whose the oil produced is of more calming and emmenagogue nature. The second variety is German chamomile which produces the oil which is an effective natural anti-inflammatory substance used more in the medical fields.
Apart from the basic difference in colour and flower size, the thing that generally differentiates between the two varieties is the presence of active ingredient chamazulene which is found to be a slightly higher percentage in the German Chamomile.
Benefits of Chamomile Oil
Chamomile oil has a lot of feathers added to its hat. First, let’s look at some of the basics and then we can go through in detail.
- Promotes sleep.
- Anti-inflammatory and helps in relief from pain.
- Eases skin condition like eczema and rashes.
- Helps in indigestion and also cures nausea and bloating.
- Helps in healing wounds, ulcers and sores.
Chamomile Oil for medical purposes
- Natural antidepressants- Popular for its sedation and tranquilization properties, this sweet aromatic oil helps you to calm down and relax. If suffering from a nervous breakdown, it also found to help calm down the nerves of the body. Also made its way to be used in prenatal massages, as it relaxes the mothers after delivery. Furthermore, it helps babies to sleep but then it should be under supervised guidance.
- Analgesic properties- To ease your suffering from the destructive pain of arthritis, chamomile oil can come to use. It also helps to ease down inflammation and also ward off headache and cold.
- Cure to stomach disorders- Chamomile oil can become an antidote for your stomach ailments. It regenerates your digestive powers, helps in the release of gas accumulated and is a great medicine to help you get relief from bloating.
- Support for the women- Due to the presence of emmenagogue properties, chamomile oil is like a messiah for premenstrual and menstrual troubles. Also, it helps in easing breast tenderness.
- Safeguards the body- Being a rich diuretic, chamomile oil helps in keeping the kidneys and the urinary tract clean, thus saving us from any unwanted diseases. Also, it has been proven scientifically that prevents cardiovascular troubles.
Chamomile Oil for skin and hair
- For a youthful skin- Rich in antioxidants, chamomile oil for skin is highly beneficial. It helps in unclogging of pores, maintains skin’s elasticity, and makes it soft and supple. Also great in easing skin conditions like eczema and acne and can be used as both a moisturizer or an anti tanning remedy.
- For lustrous hair- Chamomile oil for hair enriches the hair colour, texture and radiance. Despite being a natural antidandruff agent, it also helps in moisturizing and softening the hair.
How to apply Chamomile Oil?
Since chamomile oil is purchased in a concentrated form, if skin comes in direct contact with it, it may cause some disruptions. So let’s see how we can use it easily and reap the benefits out of it.
- Aromatherapy application- Inhaling the sweet smell of the oil can help you to relax and unwind. Therefore use a diffuser or a sprayer to slowly spread the goodness all around. Or you can use two to three drops of the oil on a clean cloth and sniff it. But also make sure before you do so, you are in a well ventilated area and you have used only a few drops of it.
- Topical application- Chamomile oil helps you with aches, pains and digestive issues but before applying directly to your body, first dilute it in a carrier oil and then use it as a massage oil, bath oil, lotion, compressor or anything. Carrier oils that can be used are coconut oil, jojoba to name a few.
- Masks and Scrubs- Use chamomile oil with oatmeal and honey or aloe vera gel and boom, you have got your own face masks and scrubs at home. No need to go to parlour now. These homemade masks and scrubs can make you look absolutely flawless without costing you a fortune.
Some side effects of Chamomile oil
Everything has its good and bad qualities. Till now you knew about the positive things, but let us go through some cons now.
- Using chamomile oil as an aromatherapy application should be done under the supervision of some qualified professionals and while using it you should be in a well ventilated area.
- Since it is concentrated, applying directly on the skin can cause skin irritations and in some extreme cases, allergies and burned areas can be noticed too.
- Chamomile oil is expensive so before buying it make sure that you will be not going to waste it.
Clearly looking at the list, pros outweigh the cons but since you know, it is always preferred to be safe than to be sorry.
Sad enough, we have come to an end. But you now have everything listed that you need to know about Chamomile oil. It amazes how a simple natural ingredient can have so my astounding benefits that is can be used as both for its medical and beautification properties. It can improve your overall health and also make you beautiful inside out.