Hemorrhoids or piles is a condition in which the veins in our lower rectum get inflamed. This inflammation causes pain, bleeding, clots, and discomfort. Hemorrhoids are caused by strained bowel movements, unhealthy weight (obesity), weight lifting, low fiber diet, sitting at one place for long periods, and/or pregnancy.
Hemorrhoids are a very common problem affecting almost three out of four adults, at least one in their lifetime. There are many treatments available for hemorrhoids and coconut oil is one of them. Coconut oil for hemorrhoids is used to cure its symptoms and is proven to relieve itching and bleeding. The effectiveness of coconut oil for hemorrhoids is so much that people sometimes get relief from symptoms even before seeing a medical professional.
We have elaborated on the multitude of benefits associated with coconut oil and we have no intentions of stopping. This is why this exclusive article aims at explaining to you all about how this magical oil is a friend in need! Read on to get enlightened!
Benefits of coconut oil for hemorrhoids
Coconut oil is proven to have analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. People make use of coconut oil for hemorrhoids by consuming it or applying it to the affected area. The strong anti-inflammatory properties of coconut oil are one of the biggest reasons it is used for the treatment of this condition. Coconut oil also has antibacterial properties that fasten the healing process.
For ages coconut oil, because of its laxative effect and enhancing intestine function, has also been used by people for treatment of the constipation-one lesser-known symptom of hemorrhoids. People who have constipation, strain themselves during bowel movements causing venous inflammation. With all these factors combined, coconut oil acts as a home remedy for reducing all the discomfort causing symptoms of hemorrhoids.
How to use coconut oil for hemorrhoids
Less to not processed at all is a better option in most of the things. The same applies to coconut oil. Virgin or organic coconut oil is the one that retains all its health benefits. We can reap these benefits to treat ailments like hemorrhoids.
You have the liberty of using coconut oil as you like for the treatment of hemorrhoids. Ingest or apply, whatever suits your boat. Let us guide you on how you can do both of these things so that you can make a choice.
1. Ingesting coconut oil by including it in your diet
As we just mentioned, coconut oil has multiple laxative effects. Incorporating coconut oil in your diet can help ease constipation and diarrhoea. It also kills harmful bacteria and microorganisms in your food, making it healthy. To consume coconut oil, you can replace your usual cooking oil with coconut oil, use it as a dressing on toasts and salads, and use it as a healthier alternative for butter.
2. Witch hazel mixed with coconut oil
Witch hazel is another very old, effective, and commonly used treatment for hemorrhoids. It is a that can pull water out of an area, consequently reducing inflammation. It can be bought in liquid form and mixed with coconut oil. This mixture can be applied to the affected area using cotton balls.
3. Coconut oil suppositories
Coconut oil suppositories are made by shaping dry or semi-solid coconut oil into thin cylinders, almost the width of straws, and freezing them till they retain their shape. These suppositories are inserted inside the rectum for fast relief from internal hemorrhoids while easing any discomfort.
4. Adding coconut oil to bathwater
This is a remedy that will help to relieve both external and internal hemorrhoids while offering the additional benefit of making your skin soft and supple. Generally, a small quantity of about ½ to ¼ cup of coconut oil is added to the bathwater to soothe any skin irritation.
5. Turmeric and coconut oil concoction
Both coconut oil and turmeric are the kings of anti-inflammatory and healing properties. This powerful combination can be applied externally to the affected area using a cotton ball. It offers great relief to external hemorrhoids and associated discomfort and irritation.
Apart from coconut oil, there are many other natural treatments that offer great relief from hemorrhoids. Let us expand on some of these treatments
- Apple cider vinegar is a fantastic natural remedy with a myriad of benefits. just like coconut oil, it is used both as a food and for topical application. Dip a ball of cotton inside some apple cider vinegar and apply it on external hemorrhoids and let it do its magic.
- Epsom salts are salts made of magnesium sulfate. These salts are widely used for the treatment of hemorrhoids by mixing in warm water and bathing in it. Look for USP grade Epsom salts since they are the safest to use.
- Aloe vera is a component in almost every healing product there is. It has excellent anti-inflammatory properties that can treat even severe burns. Apply pure Aloe vera gel on external hemorrhoids and see amazing results.
Potential side effects of coconut oil for hemorrhoids
Although coconut oil is a wonderful natural element with numerous health benefits it may have a few side-effects that you need to know
- It is known to treat diarrhoea but if your digestive system does not get used to it, it may cause indigestion, diarrhoea, cramps inside the stomach, and upset the digestive tract. It can take your digestive system a little getting-used-to so inculcate in your diet slowly.
- It is important to know the cause of your hemorrhoids before using anything for its treatment. Sometimes, hemorrhoids are caused by diarrhea and coconut oil can be the reason behind it. If the potential reason for your hemorrhoids is diarrhoea then coconut oil is not recommended.
- Processed coconut oil can have saturated fats that can increase the risk of heart diseases. At the end of the day, any oil in extreme or unhealthy quantities is bad for the well-being of the body.
The outlook is that coconut is a boon to humanity and has a plethora of health benefits when used properly. But since it is a natural remedy only, it can take some time to show the desired results. If you do not feel the uncomfortable symptoms of hemorrhoids go away with regular usage of coconut oil over a week or two, consult a medical professional.
We understand that it is an irritating condition, but taking an initiative will make it go away very soon. It is a very common and treatable condition so you don’t have to stress! We hope we impressed upon you whatever you came looking for!