Do you also feel the need to loosen up and stay relaxed in this Coronavirus pandemic? Well, it seems like there are plenty of people like you who want to be undisturbed and sedate. As the Coronavirus has taken the lives of so many people, there is a considerable degree of stress, fear and concern in the people. This fear justifies that people need to calm down and relax. You can easily relax in your home with the Corona relaxation techniques mentioned in this article.
“Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is relax!” This quote by Mark Black inspires all of us to take frequent breaks and relax. Relaxing is necessary to manage stress and when you relax, you gain more energy as your blood flow increases. It helps you to have a clear and calm mindset.
6 Techniques for corona relaxation
1. Deep breathing
It is the easiest and most convenient corona relaxation technique that can be mastered anywhere by anyone. The benefits include enhancing lung function, blood pressure and mental health and helps correct posture. Deep breathing is unusual for your body. If you are breathing properly, your abdomen should expand and contract with each breath. It takes practice to pick up any new skills.
In this blog, we have a simple breathing exercise that can be integrated into your daily routine :
- Exhale to a count of five.
- Hold your lungs empty for a five-count.
- Then, Inhale to a count of five.
- Again, Hold the air in your lungs for a count of five.
- Exhale and repeat the process for 5 minutes.
It is essentially a spiritual discipline based on simple science, which pivots on bringing peace and consonance between body and mind. It is an art and science of healthy living. The ultimate goal of yoga is liberation (Moksha).
It is derived from the Sanskrit root ‘Yuj’, meaning ‘to unite’ or ‘to join’ or ‘to yoke’. Yoga provides mental and physical health benefits for people of all ages. If you are practising regularly, you can feel better from head to toe. The advantages are :
- Ameliorates flexibility and strength balance.
- Better sleep.
- Reduces and manages stress.
- Encourages better self-care.
- Brighter moods and more energy.
- Excessive weight and high blood pressure can also be brought down by yoga.
3. Progressive muscle relaxation
Progressive Muscle Relaxation is a process of promoting mental and physical relaxation. In this progressive muscle relaxation, when you breathe in you are focusing on a group of muscles and when you breathe out you relax them.
For instance, if you want to tense your biceps and upper arms, you will have to clench your hands making fists, bend your arms and curve your biceps. The advantages of this relaxation technique are:
- It improves sleep and systolic blood pressure.
- It helps to reduce depressive symptoms.
- It reduces the chances of migraine attacks.
- It relieves back pain and neck pain.
4. Sleep music soothing relaxation
This corona relaxation technique includes listening to your favourite music before going to sleep or just when you are taking a break from your school/work. Music is liked by everyone and it gives you a soothing feeling.
This sleep music soothing relaxation is used as a therapy by therapists to treat their patients who are struggling with illnesses and diseases. The advantages of sleep music soothing relaxation are:
- It manages pain and stress.
- It can enhance your mood by increasing the flow of dopamine.
- It makes you fall asleep quickly.
- It improves sleep quality and sleeping efficiency.
- It is useful for brain development.
It is a technique or process or act of creating images in visual terms to take an imaginary journey to a calming, peaceful situation or place. Visualization helps in corona relaxation as it is very simple. You may sit in a quiet and comfortable place, close your eyes and imagine being inside of yourself and looking out through your eyes and thinking positive thoughts.
This technique yields you merits such as :
- Boosts your internal motivation.
- Stimulates your subconscious mind.
- Rejuvenate your brain.
- Reduces your stress.
6. Autogenic relaxation
This is one of the relaxation techniques where both your body awareness and visual imagery is used to get rid of stress. It is something that automatically comes from within. For example, if something good happened to you once, remember it again and again when you are stressed.
It has the ability to reduce anxiety, stress and fatigue. It influences body reactions like blood pressure, body temperature and heartbeat. Some more benefits this corona relaxation technique provides are as follows:
- Slows your heart rate
- Lowers your blood pressure
- Reduces the activity of stress hormones
- Increases blood flow
- Reduces muscle tension
- Improves digestion
7. Mindfulness meditation
This technique keeps you calm and teaches you how to let go of negative thoughts. It provides peace to both your body and mind. The process involves body awareness followed by deep breathing. It helps you focus on the current situations and problems.
You can practice this anywhere, walking on the street, waiting in a line, sitting in your car due to traffic, etc. The four types of Mindfulness Meditation which will help you to achieve corona relaxation are:
- Body scan meditation- Lie down on the floor or bed and free your body. Wear loose and comfy clothes. Let go of stress and you will start becoming aware of your bodily sensations.
- Breathing space meditation- Short meditating session about 2 to 3 minutes. Take 5 to 6 long breaths when you are in a stressful situation. It will calm you and get rid of your anger.
- Movement meditation- Go for daily walks with your doggy and start early morning running sessions. Follow a workout routine with a balanced diet. Move more so that you can keep yourself engaged and be relaxed.
- Expanding awareness meditation- Sit in a quiet place with a cool atmosphere and just focus on yourself. Think about your body, your breath, your chores, your worries, etc.
You can also go for other corona relaxation techniques like massage, low-impact workouts, tai chi, etc. If you are someone who can go out during this pandemic then aromatherapy and hydrotherapy are good options.
If any relaxation technique does not work for you, try another one but don’t mix up all at once. If you are someone who has a painful past, you may feel emotional discomfort while doing these corona relaxation techniques. If you feel so then stop doing that and it’s time to see a doctor or a mental health therapist.
You have to trust yourself and find what’s best for you!