Masturbation Affect Immunity? Since the word self-reliance gained popularity during the lockdown, there is another word that has not been talked about enough. Masturbation, An act of touching one’s genitals for pleasure. It is natural and a part of healthy sexual development.
There are many myths about masturbation like it makes your organs fall, it causes infertility and blindness. It has also been stated by a few people that masturbation affects immunity. Lack of sex education is the culprit and this is why we are here to understand what is the fuss really about.
It has been surmised that masturbation is a perfect outlet for releasing anxiety and stress as it releases hormones like Dopamine and Oxytocin that make you feel good about yourself.
Before we dig deep into it, We must normalize it. Around 94% of men and 85% of women vocally admit to masturbating, and why shouldn’t they? Masturbation is a great way to get in touch with your own body and learn what you like and dislike.
Other than these benefits, can masturbation boost one’s immunity or affect it negatively, let us start digging.
Does masturbation affect immunity?
Since the virus started spreading all over the world and the only way to fight it is a healthy immune system, people began transmitting all sorts of myths related to it. They tried eating various herbs, supplements, learned numerous yoga poses, and then came to the “masturbation can boost your immunity”.
- Research has found that people who have an active sex life had higher levels of anti-body which is significant for the immune system. Although there has not been any relevant research on this topic, it is safe to say that masturbation does have many great health benefits.
- It can lower the risk of diabetes, helps you sleep like a baby if you are suffering from Insomnia. Orgasms help you relax, hormones like serotonin and norepinephrine when released help your body cycle through the REM and non-REM sleeping cycle which does affect your immunity in a positive manner.
- Your immune system releases proteins like cytokines, known to fight several infections and inflammation. These proteins are released while you are asleep and boost your immunity.
- The rise in oxytocin and dopamine that leads to a decrease in cortisol levels can help increase your immune system because cortisol (famous for being a stress-inducing hormone) aids in maintaining your immune system if released in little doses. Masturbation is proven to be the safest path to reach contentment in your sex life. It is just as healthy.
- It has been stated that an orgasm will benefit your immune system however, it may affect males and females differently. It has also been found that masturbation is known to produce an endocannabinoid system that regulates your body and has positive effects on your immune system, stress levels, and inflammatory system.
- Women and men are affected differently as a psychologist, Britney Blair suggests that women should masturbate regularly because it reduces body pains and eases menstrual cramps. Blair says that women become more comfortable in their own body and it releases sexual tension.
For women, masturbation may help limit cervical infections and urinary stretch infections through the process of “tenting,” or the opening of the cervix that appears as a part of the arousal method. The process of Tenting stretches the cervix, and thus the cervical mucus. This facilitates fluid circulation, leaving cervical fluids full of bacteria to be flushed out which is good for our ladies out there who deserve a break from time to time!
- If you are in a relationship, indulging in this activity will help you spice things up and keeps you as well as your partner happy. There are various tools and toys in markets for women nowadays to help them explore their sexuality.
In a recent study, it was found that men who ejaculated showed less risk of developing prostate cancer. Masturbation makes men last longer in intercourse. Researchers found that masturbation also reduces the risk of a heart attack as it was discovered that 45% of men who had sex once a month were more likely to die of cardiovascular disease than those who had an orgasm once a week.
There is another issue that we have heard around, masturbation aggravates blood pressure. After skimming through various journals, we came across different ideologies.
We tend to discover so many uncanny myths around this topic from people. A recent study stated that masturbation increases blood pressure therefore you should refrain from self-pleasure. Let us talk about it in detail!
Does masturbation increase blood pressure?
Masturbation offers many health benefits but this factor may hold people back.
A little spike in BP is NORMAL: When you achieve orgasm, due to the adrenaline rush, some blood pressure variation is considered normal. This is normal for all human beings.
When indulging in intercourse or masturbate, these two hormones get released, epinephrine and norepinephrine. These hormones are accountable for the spike in blood pressure and also boost your heart rate.
In the words of health experts, both men and women could encounter high blood pressure, for at least 10 minutes after reaching the plateau. So, masturbation may increase your BP levels temporarily but it does not cause serious health conditions and especially if you are someone who is suffering from hypertension.
You can easily fly solo by keeping your blood pressure under control. You must consume a healthy diet and start working out to channelize your energy. Masturbation is known to give you a healthy post-sex glow, boost your confidence, and also help you get to know your body. So, we can finally state that masturbation affects the immune system positively.
We need to take more initiatives and open up about such topics. Many women are still unknown to the world of self-exploration and dit shows. It’s high time we start promoting sex-positive views at homes, universities to teach youngsters a healthy attitude towards life without any guilt.