Did you know a fact that Americans spent billions of rupees every year on teeth whitening products? Intriguing, right?
After all, we can all admit that a smile is the first thing that we notice in people and teeth play a very important role in it as yellow or stained teeth can immediately create a bad impression.
We all want that dazzling, million-watt white smile to showcase to the world, however, with an increase in our sugar and staining food and beverages intake, the whiteness from our teeth are slowly eroding off.
Now what will happen if we say that to get pearly white teeth, you can whiten teeth normally at homes which are not only safe but also accelerates the whitening of teeth in the stipulated process.
Sounds interesting? Well continuing reading on then.
What causes yellowing of teeth?
According to a medical journal, teeth work like a sponge for ingesting food and beverages and therefore consumption of foods that are rich in sugar, simple carbohydrates or that can be easily sustainable, causes the natural whiteness of the teeth to erode off.
Also, on the other hand, in some of the cases, it has been noticed that hard enamel of the teeth wears away leaving behind the dentine underneath which is a slightly yellow bony tissue in nature.
Therefore, the general reasons that cause the yellowing of teeth are
- Consumption of certain food and drinks such as tea, coffee, blueberries and red wine.
- Diet consisting of high intake of sugar and carbohydrates.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco
- Side effects of certain medications and mouthwashes.
- Age plays an important factor as older adults have slightly yellow teeth.
- Excessive fluoride consumption can erode off the dentine of the teeth.
- Genetics, chronic dry mouth and general lack of saliva.
- And the most important, or oral and dental hygiene.
How to whiten teeth?
Tooth whitening or tooth bleaching is the process of lightening the colour of teeth. It is achieved by changing the intrinsic and extrinsic colour of the tooth enamel. It is always advisable to consult with your dentist to have a proper oral examination before moving on to the whitening processes.
Apart from the various teeth whitening treatments, there are various whitening remedies that can help you to achieve white teeth naturally.
Now you may wonder why are we emphasising upon natural remedies so much? Well the reason being
- They are cheap compared to whitening treatments that are generally on the expensive side.
- They do not cause any potential side effects.
- It has been noticed that people after a tooth whitening treatment suffer from hypersensitivity of the tooth.
- Teeth whitening done by laser and UV light processes provide a temporary effect and needs to be availed every month.
- If someone uses tooth caps then it cannot be reused and cleaned.
Now when we know about the basic advantages of natural remedies, let us go through some of the ways to whiten teeth.
- Proper oral hygiene and dental hygiene
Prevention is always better than care and therefore the first on the list of the remedies is taking care of our oral hygiene
- Most of the time, it has been noticed that people lose teeth whiteness due to buildup of plaque on them. Brushing and flossing at least twice a day can help you to prevent the plaque buildup on teeth.
- Brush after having a meal, however, do not follow the practice after consuming an acidic diet as it can cause an increase in erosion level.
- Brush in a circular motion and do not forget to clean between the teeth.
- To more additional benefit, you can use whitening toothpaste but do not forget to get it approved from your dentist.
- Reduce the consumption of food and beverages that causes staining of teeth.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco.
- Oil pulling
One of the most traditional Indian Ayurvedic practices which not only improve oral hygiene, removes toxins but also helps you to get bright white sparkly teeth is oil pulling.
In this process, oil is swished around the mouth to remove the bacteria that cause plaque formation. It is found that Streptococcus mutans, the primary bacteria that cause plaque and gingivitis formation in the mouth upon daily swishing of oil have shown a visible reduction in their growth.
The oils generally used are sunflower or sesame oil. However, it has been seen that coconut oil provides more health benefits than them.
It is a safe practice as it does not cause the teeth to be exposed to acid and also helps to clean the teeth through all corners and crevices.
- Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide
Have you ever imagined why baking soda is a popular ingredient in toothpaste? It is because it is filled with natural whitening properties. It acts as a mild abrasive that can scrub the stains and also create an alkaline environment in the mouth which prevents the plaque-forming bacteria from growing.
On the other hand, hydrogen peroxide is a natural bleaching agent which kills bacteria and also provides a whitening effect on the teeth.
Mix hydrogen peroxide in a very diluted solution to baking soda and apply it gently on teeth. Brush it off thoroughly and watch your desired results in a week.
However, make sure not to overuse this mixture as it can also easily erode off your dentine.
- Eat fruits and vegetables
Consuming fruits and vegetables every day helps in keeping the plaque formation away. Fruits like strawberries, pineapple and papaya have visibly shown a colour difference when applied on stained teeth.
Malic acid in strawberries, bromelain in pineapple and papain in papaya are active ingredients to get white teeth. They not only provide the colour difference but also provide other health benefits for the body.
Listed above are some of the scientifically proven remedies that can produce some effective results but apart from that, you can use activated charcoal, kaolin clay, fruit peels and apple cider vinegar to get your desired results.
Now there you go, hopefully, by using some of these remedies you can get sparkling white teeth. That being said, remember these remedies to produce results can be time-consuming and if you want a fix, always availing a teeth whitening treatment under the supervision of a skilled dentist is always advisable. Now go on, you are all ready to showcase that bright smile to the world.