All decked up in a beautiful dress, set to leave and just then as you went to check your impression in the mirror, you see thin, wispy strands of hair around your hairline popping out of nowhere. It felt relatable, didn’t it? Yes, you are right, we are talking about baby hairs. No matter how much we love and adore a baby, baby hairs are something that we can never get fond of.
So here presenting it to you an entire guide on how to get rid of your baby hair. All pros and cons and all the methods available will be covered in this article.
So let’s begin.
What is baby hairs?
Also known as ‘peach fuzz’ or ‘vellus’, baby hair generally grows all over your body. But if you think about the proper definition, then baby hairs are generally considered the sprouts of hair around your temples, forehead, right above the ear and at the nape of the skin. Baby hair grows during childhood hence the name but most of the time as it is seen they stay past adolescence and also creep into adulthood.
Vellus hair as said are found throughout the body but they are much lighter and softer to those that stand out against your terminal hair strands. As baby hairs are very wispy it becomes extremely difficult to style them as they just don’t lay flat and even creates an illusion of “cowlicks”.
What causes baby hairs?
These irritating pieces of hair strands which seem to have grown out of nowhere can be caused due to quite a variety of reasons.
- Baby hair formation takes place when hair reaches its anagen phase and it altogether stops growing. Due to the absence of sebaceous glands under the roots of those hair strands, sebum content of those hairs are quite low and they also appear less moisturized and nourished than the rest.
- Genetics can play a major role in the appearance of baby hair.
- Even if you do not have baby hairs at your initial stages of life but have a bad habit of pulling off your hair, then well, your luck may finish soon. It has been seen that those who pick their hair off, wear a tight hat or cap and always tie their hair in a tight ponytail, baby hairs can soon pose a grave problem for you.
- Straightening, curling, excessive blow-drying, roughly brushing or even brushing incorrectly can cause the formation of baby hairs.
No matter how much we don’t like baby hairs, it too has some advantages lined up its sleeve.
- It protects your skin from irritation
- Wicks away the sweat.
- Keeps your body warm.
Now let’s get to the real deal
How to get rid of baby hair
You can either style them, hide them or completely remove them. The choice is yours to make.
1.Waxing- The baby hairs on your forehead or at the nape of the neck can easily be removed by waxing. Use of hot wax on those areas will help you to get your desired results but it will not stay longer and neither will it give you the results that you truly wanted. Furthermore, the use of wax should be done under trained professionals and not alone at home.
2.Threading- The fastest and the most inexpensive method of the list is threading. It not only helps in removing the finest of fine hairs but also helps you in getting your desired result. However, it is just a temporary fix and regular threading is needed to last the result longer.
- Mix three to four drops of olive oil, rosewater and a little bit of alum in a paste and use it to coat for like 6 times a day.
- Make a fine paste of mustard seeds, add one drop of mustard oil in it and apply on those areas where baby hairs are present.
- Dab a cotton swab in a lukewarm mixture of coconut and almond oil and use it on your desired areas.
The above mentioned are all-natural remedies. They will help you to get the results that you are craving for but it will take fairly a long time.
4.Styling– You are in a rush and do not have time for any of the above procedures and need an instant result, then don’t panic, use any of the following methods and create your desired look.
- Style your baby hair in the direction they grow instead of the other way around.
- Use hair gels, hair sprays, hair mousse or any anti-frizz cream to tone down your stray baby hairs.
- Take a small, round barrel brush with water and use it to form ringlets of baby hair that gives a frame to your face or you can intentionally curl them to make them more unnoticeable.
- Use a blow dryer at a very low temperature and very patiently with the help of hair products and bobby pins, slowly tame down those stray hairs.
- If you are going braids, then do not incorporate them in your main hairdo and style them out separately.
5.Cut- Pixie cut or soft fringes can also help you in getting the look you want and will hide the baby hair by including them in the hairstyle.
6.Removal- Here comes the last option. If no matter how much you try, baby hairs have always destroyed your appearance and you are just tired of it, then you can consider trying the laser hair removal treatment.
It will completely remove the tiniest of tiny hair but can eventually change your entire hairline. Well, after some point, you may regret doing that. There you go with an entire guide on how to remove your baby hairs.
However, truth to be told, having baby hairs is not a bad thing. You can embrace them and can create your unique signature style out of it. We believe that you can certainly rock them.