It amazes us to think about how ayurvedic practitioners were so ahead of their time. Their knowledge of medicinal herbs, roots and leaves are still in use and are also extensively applied in modern medications and therapies.
One such amazing herb that had been abundantly used in Ayurveda and is still used in various modern-day medications to treat a wide range of diseases is Gokshura.
This multifaceted miraculous herb can not only solve your sexual problems but can also be effectively used against genitourinary problems. So let us learn more about this herb then.
What is Gokshura?
Gokshura is the common name used for Tribulus terrestris. It is an immunity boosting and healing medicinal herb that is found in the sub-Himalayan forests of India.
The name Gokshura is derived from two Sanskrit words, ‘go’ which means cow and ‘akshara’ means hooves, as the fruit of the plants resembles the hooves of cows.
Gokshura is a herbaceous tap-rooted perennial plant which is widely distributed in the world and only grows in a dry climate.
Gokshura is widely accepted medicine due to its aphrodisiac nature. It has both nutritive and cleansing properties and is an excellent anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, anti-hypertensive and anti-gout medicine. Gokshura is also an excellent muscle relaxant. No wonder it was extensively used in Ayurvedic medicines and still continues to rule the medical world.
Some of the proven health benefits of gokshura are:
- Boosts sexual health and stamina
One of the biggest benefits of consuming Gokshura is improving sexual health, especially for men.
Bestowed with powerful spermatogenic properties, Gokshura can be extremely beneficial in treating:
- Hypospermia- low volume of semen.
- Asthenozoospermia- disruption in sperm motility.
- Oligospermia- low sperm count.
- Teratospermia- abnormal sperm shape
It also enhances spermatogenesis and as it is abundant in natural antioxidants, it increases the production of testosterone and luteinizing hormones and is very effective against treating conditions like erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation.
- Boosts libido
Gokshura has been used as an aphrodisiac since centuries. The aphrodisiac nature of Gokshura ameliorates mental stress and anxiety and stimulates the hormones that increase libido.
It promotes ovulation and sperm production and is also believed to work for men and women who suffer from fertility issues. Gokshura increases the sperm quality and quantity in men.
- Relieves urinary disorders
Gokshura is a potent remedy to be used against urinary disorders like:
- Urinary incontinence
- Painful urination
- Burning sensation while urinating.
Gokshura can effectively ameliorate pain while urinating and can also stimulate proper urination. As it is abundant in antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, it can reduce the risk of urinary infections. Dysuria can also be treated by Gokshura as it also acts as a mild diuretic.
Gokshura is filled with lithotryptic activity which helps in the functioning and regulating of the urinary system and also has a cleansing effect on the urinary bladder.
- Improves kidney function
It promotes the healthy functioning of the kidney. Gokshura helps in excretion of excess uric acid from the body and thus maintains normal uric acid levels in the body and also lowers the risk of gout in the long run.
Gokshura due to its anti-lithiasis properties prevents the formation of kidney stones and if someone is suffering from such ailment, it can break and reduce the size of the formed stones and also curtail any underlying ailments like:
- Polycystic kidney disease
It also helps in managing diabetes.
- Beneficial for skin and health
Benefits of Gokshura for hair and skin are varied.
- Being rich in natural antioxidants, Gokshura acts as a cleanser and prevents radical damage caused due to sun rays.
- It helps in treating various signs of ageing like wrinkles, dark spots, dark circles and fine lines.
- Gokshura effectively reduces acne, pimples and other skin infections.
- It helps you to achieve that radiant and youthful look.
- It reduces hair fall, reduces dandruff problems and also treats any scalp related ailments.
- Gokshura helps in hair smoothening and revitalises it.
- Promotes cardiac functioning
Gokshura is very effective against various heart ailments due to its strong antioxidative nature.
A condition known as atherosclerosis can be prevented due to Gokshura as it reinforces the heart muscles and prevents the formation of lipids and debris in the blood vessels. It reduces the levels of non-esterified fatty acids (NEFA) and thus reduces the chances of heart attacks, strokes and blood clots. And also Gokshura maintains normal cholesterol levels in the body.
Not only the above-mentioned health benefits, but Gokshura has also other therapeutic benefits lined up on its sleeve like:
- Treating Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Aids in digestion
- Ameliorates muscle and joint pain and soreness.
- Promotes brain functions
- Increases body composition and helps in healthy weight gain.
- Improves strength and nourishes the body.
- Boosts the immune system of the body.
- It can treat haemorrhoids, hernia and other related ailments.
- Balances the tri doshas of the body (Vata-Pitta-Kapha)
Potential side effects of Gokshura
Gokshura is considered safe to be used by old and young alike. However, for some sensitive people, some side effects can be observed like:
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Stomach pain, cramping and constipation.
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Affects blood sugar and decreases blood sugar levels in the body.
Who should avoid Gokshura?
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding are strictly not allowed to consume Gokshura as it causes abnormalities or birth defects in the growing fetus and if mixed with the breast milk, it may produce some serious health problems.
- Although Gokshura is prescribed for diabetic patients, however, people suffering from diabetes and hypertension should stay away from Gokshura unless prescribed by doctors.
How to consume Gokshura?
Gokshura can be found in the form of tablets, capsules or powders. 1-2 tablets or capsules per day is usually recommended and powder is usually asked to be taken with milk or water. However, that being said, consumption of Gokshura should be as prescribed by your doctor or as written in the instruction section on the package.
As you can already tell, Gokshura provides immense health benefits to old and young alike. However, we always advise you to consult with your doctor before you add this miraculous ayurvedic herb to your daily lifestyle and reap all the benefits out of it.