Do you like being healthy? If yes, then you will love this ayurvedic miracle of a technique called gundusha. The health benefits of gundusha are not limited just to great oral health. It enhances your digestive system, treats hormonal imbalance, improves symptoms of chronic conditions like asthma and arthritis. These benefits are apart from the main benefits gundusha has on oral health.
Gundusha or oil pulling is an ayurvedic technique that involves swishing 1-2 tablespoons of oil in your mouth for 20 minutes. This technique has been practised in India for almost 5000 years but has gained worldwide popularity over the past few years. Let us tell you all about why this technique is becoming so popular and why you should make it a part of your lifestyle too.
What is Gundusha technique?
Gundusha is practised in the morning on an empty stomach. Usually, people use coconut oil for oil pulling but alternatively, sesame or sunflower oil can also be used. It won’t be easy to swish the oil in your mouth for 20 minutes from day 1 since it will take some getting used to.
Start with swishing the oil in your mouth for 2-3 minutes daily and increase the time gradually. Don’t tire your mouth by swishing too vigorously because the oil doubles in size after absorbing saliva and toxins after some time. Slowly suck the oil through your teeth without swallowing it. After spitting it out, gargle with warm water to rinse off the leftover oil in the mouth and continue with your usual oral routine (brush, floss, and/or mouthwash).
Usually, coconut oil is used as an oil pulling technique because coconut has more health benefits as compared to oils like olive oil, sesame oil, and sunflower oil, especially on oral hygiene. Using the right kind of coconut oil is important to reap all the benefits of oil pulling so that the bad bacteria in the mouth are killed without harming the good ones. Using extra-virgin, organic, or unrefined coconut oil are the only recommended types of coconut oil for oil pulling.
Coconut oil contains lauric acid that prevents tooth decay, harmful microbes, has anti-inflammatory properties and prevents bad bacteria. It also has vitamins like A, D, E, and K. These Vitamins have health benefits like improving the immune system, providing antioxidants for beautiful skin, protection against UV rays, strengthening teeth and bones, and enhancing blood clotting.
Coconut oil is also said to taste and feel better in the mouth and is completely safe. Some research also suggests that coconut oil can reduce bad cholesterol although more experimental data is needed to prove that.
Health benefits of gundusha or oil pulling
Coconut oil itself has many health benefits and using it to practice gundusha just increases the number of those health benefits and overall well-being. The key benefits of gundusha or oil pulling include
- Oil pulling is a great technique that helps in improving digestion. The process of digestion starts in our mouth. Oral hygiene is key to a good digestive system. If we have good oral hygiene, our tongue will be able to detect all the nutrients in the food that we are eating which makes it easier for the tongue to send efficient signals to the stomach.
If oral hygiene is not good, the stomach doesn’t receive appropriate signals which obstruct the stomach’s ability to absorb all the nutrients and break the food properly.
- Oil pulling helps in the treatment of gingivitis, plaque, and bad breath causing bacteria. Oil pulling can achieve this by making the bacteria inside the mouth (for example Streptococcus mutans) adhere to each other because of the oil’s property to make the skin of the cells which is made of lipid (fatty membrane) stick to each other.
The bacterial cells stick together and to the oil, which makes it easier for them to get rid of it. This also helps to strengthen oral cavity muscles, jaw muscles, and overall health of the mouth and body.
- Research shows that oil pulling is more efficient in reducing bad breath than other commonly used techniques. Bad breath or malodor or halitosis is caused by bacteria and oil pulling is a technique that is known to eliminate these bacteria and other volatile sulfur compounds better than even chlorhexidine (a common antimicrobial mouthwash), and placebo.
- Some case studies show that when compared to chlorhexidine, oil pulling made the gums stronger and healthier with regular usage for 5-10 minutes, once every day for 2 weeks. Chlorhexidine took almost double the time to the same. This shows that oil pulling gives results amazingly fast.
- A limited amount of study on the impact of oil pulling on sinuses has been conducted but what has been found out till now shows that oil pulling positive effect on the oral cavity and its surrounding tissues maintains healthy bacteria in the mouth.
This improves blood circulation of the oral tissues, consequently sending out nutrients and lymph to our sinuses, improving sinus health.
- Oral and overall well-being has a direct relationship, as you already know. If oral hygiene is not maintained, we can be at serious risk of getting infected with diseases like endocarditis, cardiovascular diseases, and problems with pregnancy and birth. Oil pulling lowers the risk of developing such serious health conditions by detoxifying our body.
- Those who used coconut oil for gundusha regularly reported that they have seen a significant difference in the shade of their teeth and that too in a short amount of time. Some people even reported having whiter teeth just using the gundusha technique for 4 days.
- Gundusha is also known to improve the sleep patterns in some people who experienced better sinus health after practicing this technique regularly. Gundusha’s impact on digestive health and sinus health leads to a better quality of sleep.
- Coconut oil for oil pulling cures the skin problems like acne and skin rash, psoriasis, and eczema. This too is owed to the impact of gundusha on digestive health. After all, good interior health is key to good exterior health, right?
- Some people even say that it cured their hangover and headache although not much experimental data is available to say if it’s true.
Overall, gundusha is a phenomenal ayurvedic practice with a number of scientifically proven health benefits. It provides you antioxidants while improving the health of gum tissues. We are guessing that its benefits at least outnumber the benefits of your current oral hygiene routine right? So, include this ancient foolproof practice in your routine and flash that dazzling smile all the time!