You have finally paid heed to your new year resolution and enrolled yourself in a gym membership. You have chosen your required workout regime and are all set to sweat it out on the gym floor but at the last moment, you just realized that you do not have any idea what to carry in your gym bag. If this feels extremely relatable to you and all you want is a list of workout essentials, then my friend, you have stumbled upon the right article as we bring to you the hoard of gym essentials that will make your workout process more enjoyable and easy. Imagine having all the necessities packed in one bag and you knowing that whatever you require is just kept a hand away. Such a relaxing feeling right? Well, then without much ado, let’s dive into the list.
Well, before starting the list, we should bring one item to light without which the list cannot begin with and that is a gym bag. Yes, you read that right. We cannot put enough emphasis on the point that how much a right gym bag is essential for carrying all your gym essentials around.
Therefore while buying a gym bag, do not forget to check on the following characteristics:
- Is of ample size and has a substantial amount of space in it. Do not go for too big or too small. Go for medium-sized bags instead.
- The bag should be of durable quality and go for waterproof and breathable variants.
- The material of the gym bag can vary for different companies however the most preferred materials are leather, canvas and nylon and further nylon is the one which is most sought after.
- You should feel comfortable while carrying the gym bag from one place to another therefore look for bags that have adjustable straps attached to it.
- Make sure that the bag has different compartments built inside so that you can keep your wet and dry clothes aside.
Now that you know which bag to use for your working sessions, now let’s get down to the list that contains all the essentials to be put inside the bag
- Workout clothes
It is absolutely essential to have the correct gym attire for your workout sessions. Did you know according to a study it was observed that a person works out more and harder when they have the right workout apparels that make them look and feel good? The report stated that having the right workout clothes makes you look fit and that further motivates you to work even harder.
If you are confused on what type of workout clothes you should invest in, then you go can look through the following factors
- Buy clothes that are made of fabrics like polypropylene that wicks the sweat away from the skin.
- On the other hand, cotton clothes can be also of great help too. They absorb the sweat and help it to evaporate quickly.
- Avoid fabrics that you cannot breathe in. Do not go for clothes that have rubber or plastic-based materials.
- Go for clothes that will make you comfortable and will not suffocate you up.
Also do not forget to pack an extra pair of clothes too in the bag as you will be needing a pair of clean clothes after the sweaty workout session.
- Correct footgear
Just like your workout clothes, there can be nothing worse if you go to the gym and find that you have forgotten your favourite workout sneakers and socks. It is always advisable to have different shoes for your different workout sessions. But investing in a good all-purpose athletic shoe is also just fine.
However, do make sure to buy at least a pair of those as it will help you to dry them between the workout sessions so that you do not have to deal with unpleasant foot odours.
Going to sweat yourself up on the gym floor but will not be able to listen to your favourite workout playlist is simply unimaginable, to begin with. One of the most important gym essentials that can turn a good workout session into a great workout experience is motivating music and a good pair of headphones. According to a study, music helps you to get into a zone which not only helps you to increase your performance in the gym but also helps you to focus and concentrate better. You can invest in good wireless headphones for a great music experience during your workout sessions or if you have normal wire headphones, then go for a smartphone armband that will help you to stay connected with your music throughout your session.
No one wants to stand in long queues especially after a long intensive workout session and therefore carrying water bottles with you is an absolute necessity. Hydration is of extreme importance during workouts. A lot of sweat is released from the body during workouts and replenishing it with water is extremely important for the proper functioning of the body.
Therefore, do not forget to carry your water bottles with you when heading for your gym classes. You can also infuse fruits and vegetables in your water and make it into an effective detox drink that will help you to replenish your depleting energy levels faster.
Our body loses quite a substantial amount of nutrients from the body through the workout sessions and the most effective way to replenish all the lost nutrients is by having a high nutrient-filled light snack post-workout. Therefore do not forget to carry some snacks in your bag. You can carry:
- A protein bar or protein-rich shake
- Fruits like banana or apple
These light snacks will not only satisfy your appetite but will also replenish the lost nutrients and pace up the healing process.
Apart from the above-mentioned essentials, do not forget the following items to pack in to:
- Shower essentials like shampoo, body wash, cleansing wipes, wide-toothed comb and deodorants.
- Knee and elbow wraps
- Compact microfiber towel
- Bandages or a spray
- If you have a locker in the gym then lock and key for it
- Membership card
Now there you go, everything you need to know about the gym essentials. Hope this serves as an effective checklist for your gym bag essentials and by following this list of workout essentials, your experience is more pleasant and great.