Apart from the foods we eat on a daily basis, we need additional dietary supplements to enhance our activities. One of such supplements is nootropics. These are drugs or supplements which help in improving our cognitive skills, which are necessary while performing an executive function. When consumed by healthy individuals, it highly benefits their health. Along with various health benefits, few side-effects should also be taken care of.
What are nootropics?
Nootropics are also known as piracetam. These are smart drugs that are natural or synthetic substances. The purpose of these drugs is to improve mental performances such as being creative or energetic, in healthy people.
They have gained a lot of popularity as they are highly effective in terms of boosting memory and intelligence.
Benefits of nootropics
Below are given some benefits that one gets by consuming nootropics:
- Better brain functioning
It has been scientifically proven that people who consume nootropics have enhanced brain functioning as compared to people who do not. When consumed, nootropics increase the efficiency of cell membranes by making them more fluidic.
This benefits the cells by making their work of receiving and sending signals easier. They aid organ-to-organ communication, hence improving brain functioning.
They also increase the blood supply to the brain as well as enhance oxygen and glucose consumption. This benefits people with mental impairment diseases.
Well, consuming nootropics will not only favor your brain’s functioning but also enhance your day-to-day activities.
- Protects against myoclonic seizures
Myoclonic seizures are characterized by sudden involuntary spasms in muscles. These create difficulty while performing basic activities such as writing, eating, and even washing.
It has been scientifically proven the positive effect of nootropics on myoclonic seizures. For instance, an elderly person suffering from myoclonic seizures consumed 3.2 grams of nootropics daily. Later, the attack by myoclonic jerks was stopped.
The nootropics also have a good effect against symptoms and signs of disability raising from myoclonic seizures. To get this benefit, one is advised to consume 24 grams of nootropics daily. Lastly, nootropics are very helpful in reducing the severity of myoclonic seizures.
- Reduces the risk of dyslexia
When someone is facing difficulty while reading, writing, or dictating, they are said to have a learning disorder. This disorder is known as dyslexia. Nootropics help the patient to get better at reading and learning.
In a study held recently, children from age 7 to 13 who are suffering from dyslexia, were given 3.3 grams of nootropics daily. After a few weeks, a significant improvement was seen in their condition.
Consuming nootropics as prescribed will help the patient with a reduced amount of dyslexia symptoms. After a period, they will be able to dictate and comprehend well.
- Gives relief from pain and inflammation
Though inflammation helps our body to deal with diseases, low-level inflammation might not have a good impression on the body.
A low-level of inflammation in the body might raise the risks of chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer. The antioxidants present in the nootropics help in lowering the inflammation thus, neutralizing the free radicals. By calming the free radicals, the nootropics prevent the harmful molecules from damaging the body’s cells.
The nootropics also help in suppressing the formation of cytokines, which are the molecules that stimulate the immune system and induce inflammation. Thus, giving relief from pain and swelling.
- Improves the condition of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
Dementia is a condition that affects your memory and ability to perform tasks. The common cause of dementia is suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
Dementia is developed due to the build-up of amyloid-beta peptides. The peptides clump together to form a cluster between the nerve cells and intrude on their functioning.
Consuming nootropics help in lowering the damage caused by amyloid-beta peptides, thus protecting a person against dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
By taking nootropics, the patient will get the benefit of improved memory, reaction speed, and enhanced concentration.
Side-effects of nootropics
Below are given the possible nootropic side-effects caused by the consumption of nootropics. Again, most people do not suffer from any kind of side-effects
- It is yet to be proved whether or not it is safe to consume nootropics by pregnant women or breast-feeding women. There are chances of getting minor negative results by its consumption.
- The digestive system of children might not take the nootropics well. They might end with health issues such as obesity, vomiting, nausea, changes in sleep patterns, or nervousness.
- The prescribed dosage is changed by the patients themself; it might cause damage to the health. For instance, people might come out with an increased number of epilepsy seizures.
- The nootropics might increase the risk of getting Huntington’s disease. So, if you are suffering from Huntington’s disease, it is advised to stay away from nootropics.
- Intake of nootropics might not have a good effect on the kidneys. Though the cases involved in it are rare, it is advised not to go for nootropics if suffering from any kidney disease.
- The consumption of nootropics might slow the process of blood clotting. Blood clotting is necessary for people who have gone through surgery. So, it is advised not to take nootropics a few weeks before and after the surgery.
- Some people, without any underlying health condition, might experience adverse effects such as anxiety, insomnia, headaches, paranoia, nausea, and diarrhea.
- Consult a doctor, before pairing nootropics with other medications.
The recommended dosage of nootropics
Though the dosage of nootropics should be decided by an expert, the following will give you an idea of how much in the amount it should be taken. It is distinguished between the condition one is suffering from:
- Cognition and memory: 1.2 – 4.8 grams daily
- Myoclonic seizures: 7.2 – 24 grams daily
- Dyslexia: less than 3.3 grams daily
- Mental disorders: 2.4 – 4.8 grams daily
The bottom line
These cognitive-enhancing drugs can be highly beneficial to the whole human race if consumed in the right manner. The consumption of such drugs can be highly sensitive in case of an underlying disease. So, first, know the needs of your body, then make a decision.