Are you feeling insecure about your increasing weight?
67-year old Oprah Winfrey, who was once body-shamed has beaten the odds and has strived to maintain a fit physique with her choice of food. Ever since she lost several pounds by sticking to her special diet, people have started wanting to try the Oprah diet for a patient and sustainable weight loss. Whether you are suffering from high cholesterol or obesity, the Oprah diet lends you a helping hand.
In a world of numerous diet plans such as the Mediterranean diet, Keto diet, Paleo diet, and Atkins diet, let’s take a deep glance into the Oprah diet.
Oprah diet is one of the Weight Watchers (WW) diets and is specially curated by popular American talk show host, Oprah Winfrey. Unlike other diet plans, the Oprah diet fails to neglect any nutrients. Oprah smartly consumes approximately 1,700 calories per day. Here’s a breakdown of Oprah’s calorie chart:
- 50 percent carbohydrates (whole grains, fruits, and veggies)
- 30 percent fat (healthy fats)
- 20 percent protein.
She consumes plenty of fresh fruits that are packed with the needed sodium, potassium, iron, phosphorus, calcium, manganese, and magnesium. Oprah consumes a lot of yogurt and soymilk that adds 1,100 milligrams of calcium to her diet per day.
One meal a day (OMD) plan
One Meal A Day (OMD) plan is the latest plan recommended by Oprah Winfrey. The OMD plan does not limit the three-meal practice to a single meal. Instead, Oprah suggests eating one plant-based meal per day, which adds plenty of plant minerals and phytochemicals to your diet.
The OMD plan is similar to the Planetary Diet, which emphasizes the consumption of plant-based food and limits animal-based food. This meal plan is graspable and simple to follow and has also been proven to save 200,000 gallons of water.
Environmentalist Suzy Cameron Amis, one of Winfrey’s interviewees, has authored a book on the OMD where she has mentioned a 14-day plan with numerous plant-based recipes from cakes and desserts to falafels and hummus.
You will be surprised to see the variety of recipes that can be prepared at the comfort of your kitchen with the veggies that grow in your kitchen garden.
Advantages of the OMD plan
- It is an empowering and sustainable meal plan.
- The OMD plan helps you to maintain an average Body Mass Index (BMI) and keeps you away from heart diseases, obesity, and diabetes.
- It boosts your intake of natural fiber and fresh plant-based water content that prevents innumerable diseases.
- The vitamins, minerals, amino acids, sterols, plant enzymes, phytochemicals, and antioxidants present in plants enrich your diet.
- Consuming one plant-based meal not only provides you a healthy diet but also gifts you with a healthy planet by saving water and trees and dwindling the release of greenhouse gases.
7-day diet plan
Oprah Winfrey has always been a fighter in losing weight. She has inspired a huge mass of people from all around the world to be proud of their bodies and work towards having good health. The Oprah diet is a seven-day meal plan that furnishes all the vital nutrients in the right quantities without canceling palatable foods. We have briefed the seven-day meal plan of the Oprah diet so that you can try this in the forthcoming week.
- Breakfast: Make a drink by blending 1 full orange, 1 banana, 1 cup of mixed berries, and ½ container of yogurt and serve it with about a dozen almonds.
- Snack: Consume two slices of crispbread by pairing them with a tablespoon of peanut butter or apricot jam.
- Lunch: Consume one slice of whole-grain bread, which is topped with 85 grams of cooked turkey, 1 slice of avocado, 1 slice of tomato, some lettuce leaves, 1 slice of pepper jack cheese, and ½ cup of onions grilled in olive oil.
- Snack: Consume 6 scoops of fresh watermelon balls along with the remaining half of the breakfast’s yogurt.
- Dinner: Saute 2 cups of mixed veggies such as carrots, green peas, and cabbage, and 1 cup of wild rice in 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Consume the cooked dish with 2 boneless chicken cutlets that are grilled in olive oil.
- Breakfast: Make your breakfast with ¼ cup of oatmeal with some chopped walnuts, ½ cup of fresh blueberries, and 1 cup of skimmed milk.
- Snack: Consume 1 container of yogurt topped with a dozen almonds.
- Lunch: Consume 2 slices of crispbread stuffed with 56 grams of turkey, 1 slice of pepper jack cheese, and 2 fresh basil leaves along with a cup of squash soup.
- Snack: Have a bite of one pear with 28 grams of cheddar cheese.
- Dinner: Prepare pasta of 2 cups of mixed vegetables and 1 cup of boneless chicken breast strips in 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add lots of black pepper to the prepared pasta.
- Breakfast: Prepare a smoothie made of cocoa powder and some fresh strawberries and blend it with 1 tablespoon of wheat germ.
- Snack: Slice an apple and consume each slice with 4 teaspoons of peanut butter.
- Lunch: Consume a king-size veggie burger with 1 orange and 1 cup of sugar-free tea.
- Snack: Consume 1½ cup of mixed veggies cooked in olive oil along with 1 hard-boiled egg.
- Dinner: Stuff 2 slices of crispbread with 28 grams of cheddar cheese and consume it with a can of milk chocolate.
- Breakfast: Toast 1 slice of whole-grain bread and top it with 1 fried egg and 2 slices of turkey, and consume it with 1 cup of lemon water.
- Snack: Consume 1 green apple with 28 grams of Parmesan cheese.
- Lunch: Prepare a Grilled Turkey Burger by stuffing a grilled turkey, chopped onions and red peppers, reduced-fat mayonnaise, and some mustard.
- Snack: Consume 1 can of french vanilla
- Dinner: Prepare a bowl of cherries, ½ banana, ½ peach, some walnuts, and ½ cup of cereals and add to it some yogurt.
- Breakfast: Make a mixture of ½ cup of Cheerios, ⅔ cup of crispy flakes, ½ cup of blueberries, a dozen almonds, and 1 cup of skimmed milk.
- Snack: Consume a handful of cashews with 1½ cup of iced latte.
- Lunch: Consume 2 slices of whole-grain bread topped with 28 grams of turkey, 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise, 2 tomato slices, 2 fresh basil leaves, and 1 slice of cheddar cheese, and melted in a toaster.
- Snack: Consume 28 grams of dark chocolate with a cup of grapes.
- Dinner: Consume 1 cup of brown rice with snapper, which is grilled with eggplant, squash, and potatoes.
- Breakfast: Consume Oprah’s fruit and yogurt breakfast from Day 1.
- Snack: Consume ½ cup of whole wheat dipped in ⅓ cup of hummus
- Lunch: Consume a salad made of grapefruit, avocado, and arugula, along with 56 grams of Mozzarella cheese.
- Snack: Consume 58 grams of turkey breast grilled with 1 red pepper.
- Dinner: Prepare a banana smoothie with 1 ripe banana, 1 can of milk chocolate, and some ice cubes.
- Breakfast: Consume 1 slice of whole-grain bread toasted with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and 1 cup of Strawberry-Orange smoothie.
- Snack: Consume 1 slice of crispbread with 28 grams of cheddar cheese.
- Lunch: Prepare a meal of sliced bananas, apples, mango, walnuts, and peaches and add 1 container of yogurt.
- Snack: Consume 28 grams of dark chocolate.
- Dinner: Consume 3 cups of lettuce salad cooked in olive oil and topped with 28 grams of grilled shrimp.
The Oprah diet is mesmerizing and is easy to keep to. We hope that this article has furnished the necessary knowledge on the Oprah diet.