Fruits are excellent sources of vitamins, minerals, and fibers. They not only provide health-boosting antioxidants but also help in preventing the risk of chronic ailments in the future.
We know how an apple a day keeps a doctor away or how tiny berries help in keeping cancer at bay. But we often tend to ignore the humble pineapple who with its slightly tart and sweet taste has been providing abundant benefits for our skin, hair, and health for ages.
Yes, you read that right. Remember how our mothers used to run after us with pieces of pineapple to eat when we were a child and we always used to scrunch our face up and run away. Well, now the time has come when we run after this tropical fruit.
We do know that the taste of pineapple is unique and generally not liked by all, however, it does provide some amazing benefits to its consumer, and therefore if you are intrigued to know more, continue reading the article then as we share with you all the wonderful advantages of the miraculous fruit.
The nutritional profile of pineapple
Originated from South America, Ananas comosus or pineapple is a delicious and healthy tropical fruit. Did you know that the name pineapple came from the fruit having a strong resemblance to a pinecone?
1 cup (165grams or 5.8ounces) of pineapple chunks have the following nutrients
- 82.5 calories
- Carbs- 21.6grams
- Fat- 1.7grams
- Fiber- 2.3grams
It also has traces of Vitamin C, A, B6, and K and other important minerals like manganese, copper, potassium, and magnesium. Pineapples are also abundant in antioxidants like phenolic acid and flavonoids.
10 Healthy benefits of pineapple
As we can already see, pineapples are reservoirs of nutrients and they are extremely beneficial for our overall health. And some of the amazing pineapple benefits are as under:
- Pineapples can effectively cure a cold and cough. Due to the presence of an enzyme known as bromelain, pineapple has inflammatory properties which help in fighting infections and killing microbes.
- Pineapple is abundant in essential minerals like manganese, zinc, and copper. These nutrients help in strengthening the bones and muscles and making you super healthy and fit.
- It seems that pineapples are not only useful for strengthening muscles but also beneficial in firming gums and teeth.
- Did you know pineapple is extremely effective in keeping cancer away? It has been studied that consuming pineapple every day helps in lowering the risk of cancer in an individual.
- Pineapples are an abundant source of antioxidants and these antioxidants not only help in fighting a wide range of diseases but also slow down cell damage caused by free radicals and also make your skin look radiant and youthful.
- Pineapple juice helps in aiding digestion. Being a good source of enzymes like bromelain, dietary fibers, and Vitamin C, pineapples boost digestion and also effectively ameliorate stomach aches.
- According to studies, it has been inferred that regular consumption of pineapples reduces the risk of macular degeneration and since pineapples are rich in antioxidants, pineapples also help in boosting vision.
- Pineapples due to the presence of bromelain in them happen to very effectively ease joint pain caused due to arthritis. Pineapples help in alleviating the inflammation caused and also regular consumption of this fruit can lower the risk of arthritis in the future.
- Pineapples contain leucine and valine which act as a natural energizer for the body. A glass of pineapple juice helps in overcoming fatigue and boosting stamina.
- A quick fact, did you know, pineapples act as stress busters? Well, you read that right. Serotonin present in pineapple helps in keeping your nerves and hormones relaxed and stress-free.
The benefits of eating pineapples are far and varied and listed above are a few of the health benefits provided by it.
However, according to several studies, it has been inferred that pineapples are equally good for our skin and hair too and some of the most notable benefits provided are:
- Consuming pineapples every day will help you in rejuvenating your skin and making it look clean, fresh, and supple.
- As mentioned earlier, pineapples are abundant in antioxidants and Vitamin C and these nutrients help in treating sun damage, acne, and uneven skin tone. Also if you are looking for a remedy for treating scars caused due to acne, then pineapple juice is your answer.
- Pineapple helps in delaying cell death and therefore it also helps in reducing the formation of wrinkles and other signs of aging on the skin.
- Alpha-hydroxy acid present in pineapple juice helps in preventing the formation of black spots and pimples and also nourishes the skin and helps in making you look radiant and glowing.
- And as for hair, pineapple has hair thickening properties which help in strengthening the roots and avoiding hair fall and also makes your hair shinier and softer.
- If you want to treat inflammation in your scalp, then drinking pineapple juice is the solution.
Potential health risks of pineapples
Pineapples have abundant health benefits to offer but there can be some potential hazards of consuming pineapples every day too. Some of the risks are as under:
- Pineapple acts as a great meat tenderizer therefore if you consume too much pineapple, it may lead to the tenderness of mouth, cheeks, and tongue.
- Some people develop allergic reactions which are known as pineapple allergy on consuming excess pineapples. The symptoms generally noticed are the development of rash, hives, and breathing problems. This is generally caused due to high levels of bromelain in the bloodstream.
- Consuming excess quantities of pineapples can lead to diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, heartburn, and abdominal pain.
- People who are going to have surgeries or recently got one should avoid consuming pineapples as it can interact with the medications and can produce some unwanted effects in the body.
- Unripe pineapple should be avoided as it is dangerous for health and can lead to severe toxicity in the bloodstream.
Now there you go, everything you need to know about this tropical fruit. Pineapple is a versatile fruit and therefore you can include this fruit in your smoothies, salads, or have it whole after breakfast or lunch. However, a quick tip, do not consume pineapple on an empty stomach as it has some hazardous consequences. Now go include this tropical fruit in your diet and reap the benefits.