Muscle loss is a condition that is described as a waste of the muscles caused due to lack of physical activities. It is said that disease, injury, or a lack of physical movements causes difficulty in mobility and that results in muscle wasting. This article will help you to prevent muscle loss even while just staying at home.
With the busy schedule we live in and the 9-to-5 work routine we follow, we often lead a very senile lifestyle which leads to the condition of muscle loss.
But did you know that the condition can be easily reversed by following a healthy lifestyle which includes having a balanced diet, exercising, or through physical therapy?
If you are also curious to find out how to continue reading the article then, we have bought an articulate article that will help you to prevent muscle loss even while just staying at home.
What do we mean by muscle loss?
We will be getting to the preventive measures for muscle loss in a minute but before that let us look at some of the potential causes and symptoms of muscle loss.
Some of the symptoms of muscle loss or muscle atrophy are:
- One of your arms or limbs becomes smaller than the other.
- Marked weakness in the limbs.
- You get fatigued easily even by just simply climbing up the stairs.
As mentioned earlier, muscle atrophy is usually caused due to a lack of physical activities. Apart from that, some other potential causes of muscle loss are:
- Alcohol-associated myopathy which is a condition caused due to excessive alcohol consumption over long periods.
- Burns or injuries to different muscles.
- Lack of proper nourishment.
- Long term corticosteroid treatment.
- Suffering from chronic ailments.
How to prevent muscle loss?
Now that we have the causes and symptoms out of our way, let us now look at the preventive measures that can help you to prevent muscle loss.
1. Intake adequate protein through your diet
It is an absolute must to follow a healthy diet to prevent muscle loss. If you are in your mid-20s or 30s and follow a workout regime, make sure that you readjust your diet as per your workout structure and as per your daily needs.
Consuming a balanced diet especially rich in protein can help you to prevent muscle atrophy. Protein is considered as the building block for our body and is required by the muscles for growth and maintenance.
If you are someone who has been suffering from muscle loss, then consuming a diet rich in protein can also help you to recover from the loss. A protein-rich diet is also recommended for seniors or for those who lead a senile life. 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight is usually recommended each day and 1.2 grams per body weight is considered adequate for seniors.
Also read: Pea Protein Vs Whey Protein: What To Choose?
2. Training should be right
Our muscles always have a nice store of available glucose. When we run out of glucose stored in muscles and blood and liver glucose are also low, then the glucose is stripped off from the muscles leading to muscle loss.
Upon encountering low levels of glucose in the system, the hormone cortisol breaks down the muscles into amino acids, and then with the help of another hormone glucagon, the amino acids are stripped off and the carbon skeleton is turned into glucose. This is done to maintain a steady supply of glucose to the body.
Therefore, it is an absolute must to train correctly. Never train hard on an empty stomach or when fasting. But if you still do so, always consume an energy drink during training to prevent this process of gluconeogenesis.
It is also an absolute must to refuel your body after working out. Consume adequate protein and carbohydrates after working out so that you can replenish your energy and stamina.
Several exercises can help you to prevent muscle loss and these exercises can be performed from the comfort of your home.
Some of them are:
- Core and back exercise
- Get on all fours and try to keep your lower back flat.
- Now lift your right arm and left leg off the floor together and hold the position for 10 seconds.
- Repeat the same movement with your alternate arm and leg.
- Do the exercise for 10 minutes.
- Neck and shoulder exercise
- Lie on your stomach
- Pull your shoulder blades off the ground towards your tailbone
- Keep your arms stretched and hold the position for twenty seconds and then return to your initial position.
- Continue the exercise for 10 minutes
- Grip a wall with your hands placed at shoulder levels.
- Your feet should be placed hip-width apart and stand on your toes.
- Now lean towards the wall as if you are trying to touch your nose with the wall and hold the position for 10 seconds.
- Now return to your initial position.
- Repeat it 10-12 times and then you can progress with the exercise onto the floor.
- Stand straight with your feet placed hip distance apart.
- Clasp your hands in front of your chest.
- Your core muscles should be tightened.
- Now push your bottom downwards so that your knees become bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Hold the position for 10 seconds
- Now get up slowly and repeat the exercise for 5 minutes.
Also read: Learn About The Workout Wonder: Kang Squat
- Abdominal exercises
- Lie on your back with your knees bent at a 90° angle.
- Place your hands behind your neck and tighten your abdominal and core muscles.
- Now take a deep breath in and raise your upper body as if you are trying to touch your knees with your chin.
- And as you get back to the mat, exhale slowly.
- Make sure that your feet remain firmly planted throughout the exercise.
- Continue the exercise for 10 minutes.
Now there you go some effective measures and exercises that can help you to prevent muscle loss. With the lifestyle we lead, suffering from muscle loss is a common condition. However, just by tweaking some minor changes, it can be easily overcome too. Therefore, go on to include these measures in your daily routine and bask in the magic it provides.