Our immune system forms the first-line defence system against any disease-causing microorganisms that try to enter our body.
However, with the unhealthy food habits we have and the unruly lifestyle we lead, our immune system tends to weaken over time.
Therefore, it becomes extremely essential to strengthen your immune systems so that they can keep on fighting.
And one of the best ways to supercharge our immune system is by following some simple DIY home remedies.
Curious about what we are talking about, continue reading the article till the end as we share some delicious recipes that are not only lip-smacking in taste but are also extremely beneficial in keeping our immune cells strong and healthy.
So without any further ado, let us hop into the article
Strengthen your immune system naturally- home remedies to rescue
Recipe 1: Maple sweet potato smoothie
Our gut plays a huge role in our immune functions as it is in charge of filtering out the microbes from our system.
This smoothie provides you with a cocktail of gut-fortifying nutrients.
Your daily dose of probiotics will be boosted from the consumption of this smoothie.
This smoothie also helps in providing Vitamin A which is essential for healthy skin and for the cells of the airways and gut which form the body’s first line of defence.
- ½ cup of unsweetened kefir
- ¼ cup of low-fat milk
- ½ cup of mashed sweet potato
- ½ cup of diced and cored apple pieces
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients mentioned above until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add 2 cubes of ice and a dash of cinnamon for the extra flavour.
Recipe 2: Orange kiwi green juice
Considered as an elixir to boost your immune system, this home remedy is full of antioxidants and immune-boosting Vitamin C nutrients.
The juice helps to strengthen your immune system and keeps the immune cells strong and healthy.
- 1 peeled and diced kiwi
- ¼ th of cucumber
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- ¼ cup of parsley springs
- ½ cup of orange juice
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add a pinch of cayenne powder to add some flavour to your drink.
- Also, if you prefer pulp-free juice, pour the blended juice through a cheesecloth or a strainer.
Recipe 3: Turmeric tea
A classic beverage that has always been an integral part of every household is next on our list of home remedies to boost immunity.
Curcumin present in turmeric helps in modulating the immune system and due to the presence of strong anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric tea helps in easing pain and inflammation as well.
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder (grate fresh turmeric for added benefits)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 4 cups of water
- Honey to taste
- Boil the turmeric powder with water for 15-20 minutes
- Strain the drink and serve it with lemon juice and honey for taste.
Recipe 4: Golden milk
Almond milk is a nutritious, low-calorie drink that is extremely beneficial in strengthening the immune system.
With extra nutrients like riboflavin, calcium, and Vitamin E & D, almond milk boosts immune cells significantly.
On the other hand, coconut milk contains lauric acid, a lipid, which helps in ameliorating the risk of infections and even causes the death of cancer cells for certain types of cancerous growth.
- 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup of light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon of grounded ginger
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder
- 1-inch piece of cinnamon
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan except for the honey.
- Heat the mixture over a low flame for 5-10 minutes
- Strain the liquid once done and add honey to taste.
Recipe 5: Tomato rasam
This South Indian delight is one of the tastiest home remedies to boost the immune system.
Tomatoes provide three major nutrients- beta carotene, Vitamin A, and E which helps in combating disease-causing germs and also helps in protecting the cells from damage.
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of tur dal
- 1 small-sized tamarind piece
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and black peppercorns
- ¼ th teaspoon of asafoetida
- Curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves
- Salt according to taste
- 1 teaspoon each of coconut oil, mustard seeds, and turmeric powder
- Few curry leaves
- 1 dry red chili
- Take a pressure cooker and put inside the chopped tomatoes, tur dal, tamarind and curry leaves along with 2 cups of water.
- Wait for 2 whistles.
- Now let the mixture cool and blend them in a mixer.
- Once you get a smooth paste, put them in a pan and allow it to boil again.
- On the other hand, coarsely grind the cumin seeds, peppercorns and asafoetida.
- Add it to the tomato mix and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Now on the side, heat some oil in a small pan and add all the tempering ingredients to it.
- Once it begins to splutter, add it to the tomato mix and add some coriander leaves on top for garnish.
Recipe 6: Spiced pumpkin soup
Being rich in beta carotene, pumpkin is a great immune-booster and also aids in protecting the cells from radical damage. This home remedy also helps in warding off infections and healing the damaged tissues.
- 3 cups of red pumpkin cubes
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- ¼ cup of chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon each of cinnamon and jeera powder
- ¼ th teaspoon of nutmeg powder
- Salt and pepper according to taste
- 1 teaspoon of oregano or dried thyme
- 1 cup of thin coconut milk
- Heat some oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the onions and garlic to it. Sauté them for 1 minute
- Now add the pumpkin pieces and saute them for 3 minutes
- Now add 4 cups of hot water, salt, and pepper and mix them well.
- Cover the contents with a lid and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, allow it to cool down for some time and then blend them in a mixture to obtain a smooth paste.
- Now again return the smooth paste into the pan and add all the spices and herbs to it.
- Add the coconut milk as well and allow the content to cook for 2-3minutes.
Now, there you go, some effective and delicious DIY home remedies to boost your immune system.
These immuno-boosters work to strengthen your immune system and combat microorganisms effectively.
Now go on, include these in your routine and prepare your body to fight off any harmful microorganism it encounters.