With celebrities, sports stars, and fitness enthusiasts crazing over the workout regime, bodyweight exercises plans have become quite a huge favourite among novices and professionals alike.
With most people opting for exercising without equipment over normal gym sessions, no wonder searches for bodybuilding guides for beginners have increased over time.
Therefore, if you are looking for any bodybuilding guide for beginners pdf and stumbled upon this article, then my friend bookmark this page because we will be providing you with the ultimate guide to bodyweight exercises.
Intrigued to find out more? Continue reading the article till the end as we share all the details of a bodyweight regime and even some handy dietary tips and safety measures.
Why should you perform bodyweight exercises?
Before we move any further into the topic, let us first look at some of the benefits that bodyweight exercises provide to their practitioners
- Helps in providing strong core muscles and stabilizes your body over time.
- Boosts flexibility and stamina and is an extremely important workout regime for people involved in physical activities.
- Improves muscles strength and endurance
- Most importantly, bodyweight exercises can be performed without any equipment and at any place.
The ultimate guide to bodyweight exercises
- Squats-Works on the upper back, abdomen, lower back, hamstrings, and glutes muscles
- Lunges- Works on hamstrings, quads, and glutes muscles
- Bicycle crunch- Works on abs and obliques muscles
- Forearm plank- Works on the whole body.
- Dip- Works on triceps and chest muscles
- Push-Ups- Works on the full body but especially on the chest, biceps, and triceps region
- Handstand push-ups- Works on the full body especially on delts and triceps muscles.
- Calf raises- Works on the calf muscles (calf muscles are one of the most neglected muscle groups in a workout session)
- Reverse crunches- Works on the core muscles
- Flying pose- Works on back, core, and glutes muscles
If you feel that the above-mentioned exercises might be too easy for you, then we have steps to boost your bodyweight exercise regimes too
- Slow down the repetition speed. For example, if you used to raise yourself in 2-4 secs and lower down in 3-5 secs, then to increase the pressure, raise yourself in 7-8 seconds or lower down yourself much slowly.
- Reduce the rest periods you take between different sets. You can also perform supersets or take a rest only when you complete two sets of exercising.
- Increase the intensity of your exercises and consciously tighten your muscles for 5-6 seconds.
- You can even add partial repetitions at the end of sets to intensify the burn of the muscles.
Diet to follow during bodyweight exercises
We can never stress enough the fact that how important diet plays an important role during bodybuilding and therefore in this bodybuilding guide we needed to have a separate section dedicated to diet.
Since this is the bodybuilding guide for beginners, let us go through some of the most basic bodybuilding dietary facts that one should follow during this time
- Eat carbohydrates about 30 minutes before a workout session
- Eat carbohydrates and protein immediately after or within 30 minutes of finishing an exercise. Use the 3:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio in this case.
- Limit using dietary supplements excessively and add sugars to your diet.
The recommended daily allowance of proteins for an average practitioner is around 56 grams and people are generally recommended to consume twice the amount of proteins to help in building muscles. On the other hand, daily carbohydrate intake should be around 100 grams and non-vegetable carbohydrates should preferably be consumed after workouts.
The food items that generally should be consumed during the bodybuilding period are lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats, protein powder supplements (in moderation).
Sugar or added sweeteners, refined carbohydrates, fast food, and ultra-processed foods should be however avoided at all costs.
Safety tips to follow while performing bodyweight exercises
Now that we have discussed everything about bodyweight exercises and even the preferred diet options, let us now look at the safety tips that should be followed during the workout regime.
Keeping the body healthy and fit is generally the main motto of any form of workout routine. However, exercises are often followed by sudden or lingering injuries most of the time.
Bodyweight exercises may look easy to perform as they do not include additional weights to perform with, however, the exercises also lead to injuries often as most of the exercises are compound workouts and demand challenging positions.
How to reduce risks?
Therefore, to minimize the risk of injuries during the bodyweight exercises, we have prepared a short checklist for you.
- Do a proper warmup before you start exercising. Spend around 5-7 minutes pre-exercising to increase the temperature of your muscles and joints. You can also aim to do 2-3 sets of 15-30 secs of static hold stretches. But make sure not to keep the intensity of the exercises too high. You should be able to feel the stretch of the exercises but it should not be painful.
- Include core training exercises in between your bodyweight regimen. Core exercises help in strengthening the muscles of the spine and upper body stable and safe and therefore are extremely important to be included in your bodybuilding routine.
- Often it has been observed that practitioners do not focus on having the correct form for a given exercise, this can therefore only increase the risk of injuries for trainees in the end. Time should be taken out to learn the proper technique of every exercise that one does. If you are just a beginner who is starting their bodybuilding journey, then stick to simple exercises that do not include complex technical skills.
- Do not miss your recovery time. Give yourself enough time so that you can recover your strained muscles and joints. Consume a nutritional diet and have proper rest for a speedy recovery of your muscles.
Now there you go, the ultimate guide to bodyweight exercises. Hopefully, this article was able to solve all your queries regarding bodyweight training.
Now go on, include this in your workout regime and begin your bodybuilding journey.
Soon you will also be able to flex your muscles as trained bodybuilders do!