Just imagine the situation where you are trying to move heavy boxes from one place to another and the moment you lift the heaviest one, you feel a searing pain in your lower back. The situation feels extremely relatable, right?
Well, such an introduction is due to the fact that what we are going to talk about through this article about throw out back, an extremely common occurrence which people suffer in our daily lives but due to little or no knowledge at all we tend to ignore the situation that only leads to further worsening of the condition. So without much ado, let us know more about this throw out back condition through this article then.
What causes thrown out back?
Thrown out back is a condition which occurs when we feel a quick onset of lower back pain when we do some laborious work like shovelling or lifting heavy objects. The pain that is felt is usually in the lower back and nowhere further.
Some of the most common activities that can cause a thrown out back are:
- Lifting heavy objects.
- Bending forward in an awkward position or stretching the back too far.
- Twisting the back during strenuous physical activities.
- Excessive stress or pressure exerted on the lower back.
- Practising poor posture and body mechanics.
- Injuries caused to ligaments, muscles, blood vessels and connective tissues of the lower back area.
- Tears in protective vertebral discs can also lead to inflammation and pain.
- Lack of exercise and movements.
Although uncommon but underlying ailments like infections and tumours can also be the cause of the searing pain.
Thrown out back symptoms
The symptoms that are experienced during thrown out back condition are:
- Stiffness of the back
- Unbearable and intense low back pain
- Limited range of motion in the back.
- Muscle spasms or severe bouts of muscle tightening and relaxation
- Difficulties in maintaining a good posture
- Fever or some other signs of sickness
- In some severe cases, numbness down the legs or loss of bladder control
Thrown out back treatments
If you suffer from the searing pain in your lower back during any physical activities, the immediate measure that should be taken after experiencing intense pain in the back is to rest.
Try to lay down straight and give them back time to heal and mend. Some of the additional tips that you can follow to heal your sore back are:
- Apply cold compresses on the affected area for 10-15 minutes every hour. Also, keep in mind that if applying ice cubes, do not use directly on your skin, cover it in a cloth. On the other hand, you can also use hot compresses on your affected region. The warmth produced will relax the muscles and alleviate the pain quickly.
- Over the counter, anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen and naproxen sodium can effectively ameliorate pain.
- Special pillows and lower back supports can help you to lessen the excessive pressure created on the lower back.
- Try getting massages as it can help to soothe the inflamed muscles and also help to quicken the healing process within the stipulated period.
- You can try different sleeping positions to curtail the pain formed in the lower back. Sleep with a lumbar roll in the lower back or with a pillow in between your legs to reduce the stress in the back. It is not advisable to sleep on your stomach as it can worsen the condition.
- Avoid prolonged bed rest, do some light exercises to keep your muscles mobile and active. Physiotherapy exercises can also be a great help for such conditions. If you are doing exercises, make sure to not to put excess pressure on the lower back, do simple stretching to increase the circulation in the affected area and decrease the inflammation of that region.
Strengthen and stretching exercises are great for that matter. These exercises will help you to restore motion and increase the endurance of the muscles.
We advise that prevention is always better than cure. By following some simple effective measures, you can easily prevent the condition of being thrown out back or avoid the same in the future.
Some of the tips are:
- Follow a healthy lifestyle. Keep a check on the diet you consume and include more nutritious and healthy ingredients to nourish your system and enhance the persistence of the muscles against damage.
- Maintain a healthy weight. If you are someone who is bulky, try reducing the weight in the stomach area as it produces excess strain on your back.
- Warm-up your muscles before stretching. Walking or gently stretching the muscles can be of great help as it will help you to prepare for the more strenuous work.
- Avoid wearing heels as much as possible. As much as we like our black pointed stilettos, wearing supportive flats for travel and work will be extremely beneficial for your lower back muscles.
- While lifting heavy objects, try to hoist it with the help of your knees. Bend down your knees and not your back. You can also wear a brace or back support while lifting heavyweights. Also, try to keep your elbows and arms to the body as close as possible and refrain jerking while lifting the object up.
- Stay away from heavy laborious physical activities that can cause twisting of the back.
- We already know smoking is injurious to health and moreover, smoking can also restrict blood flow and deprive the spinal tissues of it’s required oxygen and nutrient content.
- Maintain proper posture in your daily life. Practice sitting erect and standing upright as hunching over will strain the back muscles and would put you more in the risk of getting an injury in future.
- Use ergonomically designed equipment and furniture at work and at home.
- Most importantly, if you’re handling an exceptionally large weight, do not try it to lift all by yourself. Be a good judge and take help from others.
There you go, everything you need to know about the causes, symptoms and the effective treatments and tips available for the condition of being thrown out back. Most of the pain, if taken care of, disappears within a day or two; however, that being said, most people tend to ignore the condition and carry on their daily routine.
This ignorance can be proven to be very fatal and leads to an aggravation of the situation. Consult your professional medical advisor for proper medications and treatments if worsening of the symptoms takes place.