Images from Freepik
Focus keyword: bloating; Related keywords: reduce bloating, get rid of bloating
Always Feeling Bloated? Try These 3 Effective Tips To Reduce Bloating
You are desperately wanting to squeeze into your favourite jeans or you are really looking forward to wearing that bodycon dress to the party but it seems that your stomach has decided to swell up like a balloon and take up all your space. Extremely relatable right?
We are talking about the common problem bloating, a condition which causes the gastrointestinal tract to fill up with gas and air. If you are also a frequent sufferer of this condition then continue reading the article as we talk about the common causes of bloating and also share few tips and preventive measures with you that will effectively help you to reduce bloating and prevent frequent recurrence of them.
What is bloating?
According to the medical definition, bloating is the condition which causes a buildup of gas in the intestines and stomach. You feel you are full, swollen or just have a tight feeling in the abdomen during these times.
The common symptoms observed during bloating are:
- Moderate to unbearable pain
- Frequent belching and burping
- Production of rumbles or gurgles in the abdomen
- Flatulence and excessive gas production
- Acidity and chest pain
- Shortness of breath and lower back cramps.
- In some extreme cases, discernment and hardening of the abdomen.
Although rare many medical journals have reported that bloating can be a symptom of some underlying chronic ailments and the most common conditions are
- Pathological fluid accumulation in the cavity of the abdomen due to underlying diseases.
- Gluten intolerance
- Insufficiency of the pancreas in the production of digestive enzymes.
- Perforation in the gastrointestinal tract.
Causes of bloating
Bloating is a common occurrence and affects old and young alike. Knowing about the causes of bloating will help you to avoid those circumstances as much as possible. The most common causes of bloating are:
- Accumulation of excessive air in the intestinal tract due to eating and drinking too fast and chewing gum or smoking
- Delayed emptying of the stomach and quick accumulation of the gas in the intestines.
- Medical conditions like irritable bowel syndrome, giardiasis and other gastrointestinal disorders.
- Food intolerance and eating disorders
- Unhealthy diet especially excess consumption of sodium-rich foods.
- Weight gain and hormonal imbalance especially in women
- Stress factors and anxiety problems
- Unruly lifestyle
- Side effects of certain medications
How to get rid of bloating?
Bloating can be easily treated with the help of some effective medications and treatments. By tweaking some minor changes in our lifestyle and keeping in mind some preventive measures will easily help you to combat bloating.
Some effective measures to reduce and avoid bloating:
- Try to avoid cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli as much as possible. They are rich in a sugar known as raffinose which cannot be easily broken down in your gastrointestinal tract.
- Limit your dairy content as they are rich in lactose content and that causes disruption in your digestion process.
- Increase the intake of probiotics through your diet. However, avoid over the counter supplements and go for fresh foods that are packed with these gut-friendly bacteria instead. Some examples of probiotic-rich foods are yoghurt, kombucha, kefir and some fermented vegetables like sauerkraut.
- Do not skip the skin of the fruits. We most of the time avoid the skin of the fruits we eat. However, it has been reported that the skin produces insoluble fibre for the body which helps in easy digestion of the food consumed and also helps in maintaining regular bowel movements.
- Watch the sodium intake in your daily diet. Excess consumption of sodium causes kidneys to retain water. Choose fresh foods to be included in your diet and try to avoid excess packaged food.
- Continuing with the previous point, as much as sodium causes water retention in the body and makes your stomach swell up, eating potassium-rich foods can easily help you to maintain the balance. Banana is such an example which can help you to combat bloating.
- Do not eat too fast. Eating too fast disrupts the process of digestion and despoliation and that leads to building up of gas and fluids in the stomach. Eat at a pace that will help the stomach to digest the food that is being consumed.
- We all know that fibre is essential for reducing bloating and aids in digestion but consuming excess fibre also has a derogatory effect on the body. Do not consume foods that are rich in insoluble fibre as excess consumption leads to flatulence.
Time and again, regular exercising has shown how beneficial it is for maintaining the general well being of the body. Exercises aid the digestive process and allow the smooth processing of the food. The other benefits provided by exercises to get rid of bloating are:
- Increases the motility of the colon so that the amount of time of the stool sitting in your stomach reduces
- Increases the blood flow to the gut so that the digestion and excretion process quickens easily.
Try stretching exercises that will help you to extend your abdominal muscles and also enable little pressure on the abdomen that will enhance the digestion process. Running, swimming and pilates can also be very effective remedies too.
- Lifestyle changes
- Water is the elixir of life and not having adequate levels of water in the body will lead to dehydration and other chronic ailments. And inadequate levels of water in the body also leads to bloating. Therefore, make sure to drink at least eight glasses of water every day in order to reduce constipation and gas.
- Reduce your alcohol intake and avoid sugar-free beverages. They may claim to be sugar-free but they are rich in calories and the ingredients present in those beverages causes an increase in the fullness feeling in the body.
- When we chew gum, air enters into our body and gets trapped in the gastrointestinal tract and causes bloating in the process. Therefore, avoid chewing gum as much as possible.
- We all know that bloating can be caused due to stress and anxiety, therefore you can use prescribed low dose antidepressants to cure bloating in that case. Some home remedies can also be very beneficial in this case. Aromatherapy can also effectively help you to combat bloating problems.
Now there you go, everything you need to know about the effective remedies to cure bloating. As already mentioned, bloating is a common occurrence and affects both adults and children. It is not considered harmful unless it is diagnosed as a symptom for a chronic ailment, however, we have to admit that bloating does interfere with your routine life and can cause extreme discomfort and uneasiness.
Nevertheless, hopefully, that above remedies would be able to provide you relief but do consult your medical provider if the condition aggravates. With the help of proper medication and treatment, bloating can be easily lessened and ameliorated.