Many of us dream of achieving the same physique as our favorite athlete. So the desire to train like one comes in place. The road to achieving your dream body is indeed a tough one. With proper periodization training, one can achieve their ideal body shape. Exercising alone will not help and you have to pay equal attention to your diet.
So, today we are going to focus on how to utilize diet periodization and will share some muscle-building diet options with you. Let’s get started!
What is Periodization?
We were talking about diet periodization, but what does it mean? The planned, purposeful, and strategic use of specific nutritional interference to reinforce the adaptations targeted by individual exercise sessions or periodic training plans or to get other effects that will enhance performance in the long run. In layman’s terms, you will be eating depending on the work you do.
For example, a manual laborer needs approximately 3500 – 4000 calories per day. While an office goer will require 2300 – 2700 calories per day. Eating fewer calories means weight loss, which can lead to serious implications in the long run.
That’s why diet periodization is used to measure calorie intake depending on the person to maximize the benefits for the individual in the long run.
How to utilize diet periodization?
The goal for a competitive bodybuilder is to extend muscle mass within the bulking phase and reduce body fat in the cutting phase. For this reason, you consume more calories during the bulking phase than in the cutting phase.
It is recommended to increase calorie intake by 15% when you are in the bulking phase. Suppose you take 2700 calories daily, then you have to increase it to 3100 calories approximately.
The same thing is done during the cutting phase. Reduce the calorie intake by 15%, and then you will consume 2300 approx. calories.
It’s recommended not to lose or gain over 0.5–1% of your weight per week. This ensures that you don’t lose an excessive amount of muscle during the cutting phase or gain an excessive amount of body fat during the bulking phase.
How to determine your base calorie intake?
The easiest way to determine your calorie intake is to weigh yourself a minimum of 3 times a week and record what you eat using a calorie tracking app. If your weight stays constant, the daily number of calories you eat is your base calories. In other words, you’re not losing or gaining weight, but sustaining it.
Muscle gain diet
High protein foods work like magic to utilize diet periodization. But carbs and fats also play an important role in building muscle mass. You only need to increase or decrease the number of foods you eat during the bulking or cutting phase.
Here is a list of foods that should feature in your muscle building diet:
1. Meats, poultry, and fish
Sirloin steak, ground beef, red meat tenderloin, chicken breast, salmon, tilapia, cod, eggs, scallops, and tuna.
Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, low-fat milk, and cheese.
Cereal, crackers, oats, quinoa, popcorn, and brown rice.
Oranges, apples, bananas, grapes, pears, peaches, watermelon, and berries.
5. Starch-filled vegetables
Potatoes, corn, green peas, green lima beans, and cassava.
Broccoli, spinach, leafy salad greens, tomatoes, green beans, cucumber, zucchini, asparagus, peppers, carrots, and mushrooms.
7. Seeds and nuts
Almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, peanuts, chia seeds, and flax seeds.
8. Beans and legumes
Chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans, peas, black beans, and pinto beans.
Olive oil, linseed oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil.
Whey protein, creatine, and caffeine.
Foods to avoid
- Alcohol: Alcohol can negatively affect your ability to create muscle and lose fat, especially if you consume it in excess.
- Sugar: These offer many calories but few nutrients. Foods high in sugars include candy, cookies, doughnuts, ice creams, cake, and sugar-sweetened beverages, like soda and sports drinks.
- Processed foods: These may lead to inflammation, and when consumed in excess — disease. Examples include fried fish, french-fried potatoes, onion rings, chicken strips, cheese curds, and canned foods.
5 Days sample diet to lose fat and gain muscle
Bodybuilding diets typically contain restricted food selections, which can result in an insufficient intake of essential minerals and vitamins. So, choose the food groups wisely or consult a dietician for the same.
Here is a sample on how to follow diet periodization:
- Meal 1: Scrambled eggs with mushrooms and oatmeal.
- Meal 2: Low-fat farm cheese with blueberries.
- Meal 3: Venison burger, brown rice, and broccoli.
- Meal 4: Protein shake and a banana.
- Meal 5: Salmon, quinoa, and asparagus.
- Meal 1: Protein pancakes with light syrup, peanut butter spread, and raspberries.
- Meal 2: Hard-boiled eggs and an apple.
- Meal 3: beefsteak, sweet potato, and spinach salad with vinaigrette.
- Meal 4: Protein shake and walnuts.
- Meal 5: Ground turkey and marinara sauce over pasta.
- Meal 1: Chicken sausage with egg and roasted potatoes.
- Meal 2: Greek yogurt and almonds.
- Meal 3: Turkey breast, basmati rice, and mushrooms.
- Meal 4: Protein shake and grapes.
- Meal 5: Mackerel, brown rice, and green leaves with vinaigrette.
- Meal 1: Ground turkey, egg, cheese, and salsa in a whole-grain tortilla.
- Meal 2: Yogurt with granola.
- Meal 3: Chicken breast, baked potato, soured cream, and broccoli.
- Meal 4: Protein shake and mixed berries.
- Meal 5: Stir-fry with chicken, egg, brown rice, broccoli, peas, and carrots.
- Meal 1: Blueberries, strawberries, and Greek yogurt on overnight oats.
- Meal 2: Jerky and mixed nuts.
- Meal 3: Tilapia fillets with lime juice, black and pinto beans, and seasonal veggies.
- Meal 4: Protein shake and watermelon.
- Meal 5: Hamburger with corn, brown rice, green peas, and green beans.
This sample can be considered as the best diet for building muscle, as it has a lot of protein, carbs, and fats because all of them are essential for your metabolic functions.
So, we have learned that to utilize diet periodization, one has to restrict oneself to a protein-rich diet that should also contain carbohydrates and fats to fuel the body. If you are interested in diet periodization, then consulting with a dietician is the best option. They can create a unique menu depending on your food choices, as that would have a larger impact on your body than following a random online menu.
If you found this article to be helpful, then do share it with your friends and family members and spread the good word. If you have any ideas that you want to share with us, feel free to do so. Thank you for reading this article, and have a great day!