You have to admit that at least once you have looked into the mirror and wished that you were a little taller. Well, you were not the only one my friend, we are all guilty of doing that.
Having a good height is something that we all desire and if we do not have the aspired height, we all lookout for ways to increase it. Did you know, contrary to the popular belief that by using growth pills we can increase our height, growth pills can actually, cause unwanted side effects instead of providing you with desired results?
Now you may wonder, if not by growth pills then how can we increase our height? The answer is very simple, it is by following some simple tips, you can get your desired results.
Some information about the growth regulation in our body
According to scientific research, genetics control 60%-80% of our body growth and the remaining environmental factors like nutrition and exercise regulate the remaining percentage.
Human growth hormone(GH) secreted by the pituitary gland controls the body’s growth. In children, it helps them to grow taller, increase body mass and also helps in reducing the unwanted body fat. On the other hand, in adults, it also governs the body’s metabolism rate.
From age one to till someone reaches puberty, a person grows two inches per year, however, this rate quickens its pace as it reaches puberty increasing height to four inches per year. The growth for girls is typically early during the teenage years whereas for boys it accelerates at the end of their teenage years.
After the adolescence period, a person stops growing as the growth plates in our body cease to increase. The growth plate or the epiphyseal plates are areas of special cartilage that are present near the long bones.
As growth plates remain active during puberty, it causes an increase in the length of the long bones causing the general height of the body to boost. However, at the end of adolescence, hormonal changes cause the growth plates to halt which curtains the lengthening of the bones. That being said, a very slight variation is also noticed in height of the body as half an inch fluctuation can be observed annually.
Now that we have known about the basic growth regulation in our body, let us see how we can increase height naturally.
How to grow taller?
For those under 18 years of age
To maximize the growth period to the full potential there are some tips that can be followed to achieve that
- Proper intake of nutrients- Having a balanced diet during adolescent years is beneficial for achieving your desired height.
Consume a diet that is rich in proteins, vitamins, minerals and avoid overconsumption of carbohydrates and fats. It should be kept on mind that carbs and fats should not be completely avoided as they are the main energy providers for the body and instead their intake should be kept in check.
Meals consisting of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, proteins, dairy should be consumed and sugar, trans fat and saturated fat should be avoided as much as possible.
- Increase in calcium content- Calcium is the main component of bone tissue and therefore it is the main factor for bone formation and on the other hand, vitamin D is necessary for proper absorption of calcium in the body.
It has been found that in children and adolescents, consumption of diet poor in calcium and vitamin D leads to a limitation on their statural growth. Consume foods which are rich in vitamin D and calcium like milk, cheese, yoghurt, green leafy vegetables and fishes like sardines and pilchards.
- Right amount of sleep- Having a messy sleep schedule during the adolescent period curbs growth rate of the body.
The body secretes growth hormone when it sleeps and if the body does not receive proper rest, it interferes with the hormone cycle of the body.
- Staying active- Regular exercise and staying active is extremely beneficial for the body. It strengthens the bones and muscle, maintains a healthy weight of the body and also promotes growth hormone production.
If active exercising is not something you like then you can also do yoga to align your body muscle and that will make you look taller.
Try doing mountain pose, cobra pose, child pose and warrior II pose to reap the maximum benefits out of yoga for your growth.
For those above 18 years of age
As you already know, growth after adolescents stops except for some variation here and there. However, there are some exceptions to this rule are present like
- Though considered uncommon, growth plates remain open even after 18 years of age.
- A person suffering from gigantism, a condition caused due to excess production of growth hormone.
- A person experiencing hemochromatosis, a medical condition in which excessive iron is being absorbed in the intestine which causes an increase in growth.
Websites or medical companies trying to sell growth capsules containing growth hormone can be considered a hoax as it does not provide any benefit to the body. These pills will provide unwanted side effects instead of furnishing any desired results for the body. Medical teams and doctors have stated that growth hormone does not produce any effect on the body through a pill because it loses its action during digestion. So always be cautious of such false claims.
That being said, there are still some tips that can make you appear taller
- Have a good posture. Slouching or having a poor posture can make you look shorter than you are.
- You can use fashion to your benefit. Go for colour patterns and schemes that will help you to look taller. You can also go for heels but if you are a person who is not a heels person, go for inserts inside the shoes.
- Exercising is always important for the body. It not only helps you to gain healthy muscle strength and weight but also protects the body from a condition known as osteoporosis which causes the bones to become weak and brittle and lose the muscle density. This condition can make you shrink and therefore do follow an easy exercise regime to prevent it.
There you go, hopefully, all your inquisitiveness could be solved through this article. Most of the times it has been seen that those who do not have their desired height suffer from lack of confidence and self-esteem issues. This should be not the case. Be happy the way you are, accept it and flaunt it to the world.