The hustle-bustle and the daily routine of the city can take a toll on the mental and physical health of a person and it is therefore very essential to recharge oneself away from all this city’s cauldron and therefore, nothing can beat spending a weekend or two in spa retreats.
Wellness or spa retreats have become increasingly popular in recent years, where it provides affordable destinations to rejuvenate soul, mind, and body.
Medical tourism has garnered much momentum in the past few years and with centuries-old proven healing treatments through Ayurveda, naturopathy, and yoga. India is one of the pioneer forces in the field of wellness recession.
Want to know more about the wellness resorts in India and spa retreats in general, continue reading the article then as we share with you a detailed guide on it.
What is a wellness retreat?
We will be discussing some of the best wellness retreats in India shortly, but let us first understand what a wellness retreat is in the first place and what you should consider before booking a wellness resort.
If properly defined, a wellness retreat is defined as the travel to promote wellbeing and health through spiritual, psychological, and physical activities.
In simple terms, it means stepping back from the hullabaloo of day-to-day life and just slowing down, relaxing, and unwinding in solitude or the company of your loved ones.
Taking time out to focus on health and rejuvenation of the body and mind is essential because we often tend to ignore the signs of our body. Have you ever imagined that the cold might be not from the cold shower you took that night but from the stress and anxiety that you are going through?
Why should you consider wellness or spa retreats?
If you are wondering how wellness or spa retreats have gained momentum over the past few years, then here are few reasons for you to consider.
- Contrary to regular vacations, spa retreats help in providing a safe sanctuary which allows a deeper emotional and physical withdrawal from the strains and stresses of everyday life.
- Wellness or spa retreats can be life-changing as it provides you with the time to reconnect and reflect on your life and bring the zing and zest back to life.
- Wellness retreats are situated at serene locations close to nature and therefore offer the perfect locations to forget the hustles of life and just unwind.
- Wellness or spa retreats comprise a holistic approach combining healing therapies, meditation, healthy meals, yoga, and soothing environments which often makes people shift towards a healthier or more conscious way of living.
- And most importantly, wellness retreats help you to just relax. For a weekend or two, you do not have to worry about waking up at the crack of dawn, cooking, or completing loads of work in the office. You will just enjoy the simple things in your life. Also, think about the luxurious spa and massage treatments you would be getting.
What should you consider before starting your hunt for a wellness or spa retreat?
- Most wellness retreats target to approach certain specific aspects of health and well-being. Like for example, some may target people who want to lose weight or some centers provide treatments and measures to cope with stress. Filtering what you need in your wellness retreat will help you to hunt the perfect getaway for you.
- Choose the preferred location you want to relax. It can be nestled in between mountains or somewhere beside a pristine water body.
- Budget is the most crucial aspect of any journey and wellness retreats are no exception to the fact. Plan your budget and choose the wellness retreats accordingly.
- Do proper research before you select any wellness retreat. Look for hidden costs, reviews, or personalization programs before you travel ahead.
Some of the popular wellness retreats in India
Ananda in the Himalayas
Spread out across the former royal estate of the Maharaja of Tehri Garhwal, Ananda is one of the most popular Ayurvedic retreats in India. Ananda offers 80 varieties of spa therapies which include a range of Ayurvedic treatments. It also creates tailor-made packages for the visitors.
Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort, Kerala
Kerala has always been acknowledged as the pioneer of ayurvedic treatments all over the world and therefore Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort boasts a range of ayurvedic treatments which can ameliorate different ailments and psychological conditions.
Vana Retreat, Dehradun
One of the most eco-friendly wellness properties in India, Vana Retreat focuses on remaining in harmony with nature. They employ eco-friendly mentions of waste management and water harvesting and this place is one of the few places in the world where Sowa Rigpa is offered in its complete avatar. Sowa Rigpa is Tibet’s centuries-old traditional system of medicine.
Soul & Surf, Kerala
Want to enjoy a wellness retreat with the excitement of riding the waves, then Soul and Surf located in Varkala in Kerala is the perfect place for you. This resort combines a quest for inner peace with some beach adventures.
They provide yoga classes and opportunities to learn or practice surfing. Now that is quite an interesting way to spend a weekend!
Alongside yoga and surfing classes, this wellness resort also offers workshops and talks on fitness and art forms.
The Leela Palace, Udaipur, Rajasthan
Another popular luxurious gateway of wellness retreats in India is the Leela Palace. In this place, grandeur and elegance meet comfort and modern amenities. This 5-star property boasts of Espa which offers a host of ayurvedic treatments, hot stone therapies, healing mud, and seaweed treatments, and as well its range of holistic treatments.
Located near the beachside town of Gokarna, SwaSwara offers a range of programs lasting between 5 to 21 days. The resort aims to provide rejuvenating programs for the mind, body, and soul through a mixture of yoga, meditation, preferred activities, and healthy living. Visitors are also encouraged to participate in activities like kayaking, hiking, and cultural tours around the nearby town.
Now there you go, a complete guide on spa or wellness retreats in India.
It is extremely important to unwind from your daily routine, from time to time, to heal your body spiritually, physically, and psychologically. And wellness retreats are the best options available.
Always research the place before you travel and do not forget to consider all your circumstances before vacationing. And hopefully, after enjoying and relaxing your weekend in a wellness resort, you will be filled with zest and optimism to return to your busy life.