Are you desperately looking for a remedy to get your hair to grow back faster and thicker? Or are you someone who is looking for a way to reverse back their hair loss, but too shy to ask someone else and google is your only option? Then worry not my friend, we have got you covered.
Presenting it to you everything about biotin, the secret ingredient that is taking the beauty world by storm for its hair revival and effective hair growth properties.
What is biotin?
Derived from the Greek word, ‘biotos’, which means life or sustenance, Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin from the complex Vitamin B family. Biotin is commonly known as Vitamin H.
Our body needs this micronutrient to function properly. It converts certain nutrients into energy and plays a very important role in maintaining healthy hair, skin, nails and nervous system. Biotin is a crucial nutrient during pregnancy as it is extremely vital for embryonic growth.
Benefits of biotin for hair growth
You may wonder that among so many vitamins and labelled, why are we recommending biotin for reviving your hair growth.
Biotin‘s popularity recently gained momentum when it started being labelled as “hair food” by bloggers and healthcare companies alike. It has been observed that people who consume biotin infused supplements have reported improvement in hair quality and reduction of hair loss.
According to a study conducted by a popular dermatology centre in the USA, 12 women with thinning hair were given oral marine protein supplements (MPS) containing biotin and another set of 12 women having the same problem were provided with a placebo pill twice daily for a month.
Photographs of the scalp were taken before and after the study. It was observed that the women who had MPS pills had significant hair growth in the areas that displayed hair loss before. A similar study was conducted a few years later too and then again it exhibited the same result. Biotin significantly reduced hair loss and caused hair growth.
Keratin is the protein that makes up our skin, hair and nails and the main benefit of biotin is that It helps in improving the body’s keratin infrastructure making it more healthy and strong.
Although research is sparse on biotin, some possible benefits of biotin have already been discovered.
- Biotin is the most essential nutrient for hair growth. It stimulates hair growth which thickens the hair, increases its fullness and causes them to appear more lustrous and shiny. It causes the hair to look healthier and also helps them to grow more rapidly.
- Not only for hair, but biotin also has some other benefits which are extremely beneficial for the body.
- Improves your skin and produces a healthy glow and supple skin.
- Significant nail health improvement is noticed. 25% thickening of the nails has been observed. Also, causes a decrease in splitting and breakage of the nails.
- Converts glucose from carbohydrates into energy for the body.
- Helps in aiding amino acid carrying out the normal body function.
- Alleviates muscle and joints inflammation, aches and pain.
- Rebuilds muscle strength and helps the tissue to grow.
- Helps to lower blood sugar levels people who have diabetes
- Increases good cholesterol and reduces bad cholesterol in the body.
- Encourages fetal development and minimizes pregnancy complications.
- Protects the brain and also helps in improving memory and concentration.
Biotin does have some amazing medicinal and health benefits rolled up on its sleeve.
Symptoms of biotin deficiency
Biotin is a micronutrient and very little quantity of biotin is required for the proper functioning of the body. Generally, a deficiency is rare, however, biotin deficiency can cause some complications.
- Thinning of hair and excessive hair loss.
- Dry, itchy scalp and scaly red rashes on the skin.
- As biotin converts nutrients into energy for the body, biotin deficiency can cause loss of energy, sluggishness and fatigue.
- Brittle finger and toenails.
30-100 mcg of biotin is recommended for a healthy adult human being. The consumption of biotin may increase or decrease with age, requirement and gender.
Include biotin rich food in your diet every day like
- Egg yolk
- Whole gram
- White mushroom
Consume biotin for healthy hair, skin and general improvement of the body.
For hair growth use biotin infused shampoo, conditioner, hair oils, masks and creams.
Listed below are some biotin infused hair masks that you can use at the comfort your home and get your desired hair quality without the expense of a costly salon treatment.
- Grind biotin infused tablets and 4 to 5 capsules of Vitamin E into a fine powder and mix it coconut oil and apply it on your scalp. Keep it for 45 minutes and then rinse off with a mild shampoo.
- Mix biotin infused hair oils along with castor oil and coconut oil for an added benefit. Leave them overnight and rinse off your hair with lukewarm water in the morning.
- You can use palmetto oil with biotin infused tablets to regulate your sebum production in hair and reduce hair loss.
- Fish oil is said to be rich in biotin. It prolongs the anagen phase of hair growth and due to presence Omega-3-polyunsaturated fatty acids, it helps in stimulating hair growth and provides lustre to your hair. Apply 4 to 5 capsules of fish oil and mix it olive oil and massage it on your scalp. Wash your hair thoroughly with water and rinse it clean after like 45 minutes.
Risk and possible side effects
No such side effects have ever been reported. As biotin is a water-soluble vitamin, if anyone over consumes this micronutrient, the excess will pass out with urine.
There is no known toxicity reported however, nausea and mild digestive issues can sometimes be detected.
There you go, everything about biotins is covered in this article. More researches need to be conducted on biotin and it’s potential benefits but most people who have used biotin infused supplements have sworn by its beneficiary. Time has come to make some new replacements in your cabinet.