Have you ever thought about following a low-carb lifestyle and low-carb meal plan, but are not sure where to start and what to eat?
Don’t worry, we are here for your rescue! We will help you with choosing the right low-carb meal plan for you. This low-carb diet beginner’s guide will help you discover the easiest way to lose weight.
Let’s start with the basics!
Low-Carb Meal Plan
A low-carb meal plan consists of meals and dishes filled with healthy fats, low-sugar fruits, vegetables, proteins and reduced carbs. This type of meal limits the carbohydrates intake such as no white bread, highly processed foods, sugary foods, pasta, pastries and crackers.
Basically, each day you will have to consume 50 to 130 grams of carbohydrates. The most fun part is that you can customize your low-carb meal plan and it has limitless benefits. Also, a low-carb diet does not mean a no-carb diet. This is because carbs are your body’s main source of energy. If you don’t consume carbs, you will feel weak and might get sick.
Although a low-carb meal plan is safe and reliable for everyone, some people still need to avoid a low-carb diet. A low-carb meal plan causes drastic changes in blood sugar and rapid weight loss, which may cause issues for some people such as:
- People taking diabetes and insulin medications
- People taking blood pressure medications
- Mothers who are nursing a baby
Benefits of following a low-carb meal planner
- Shaves off visceral fat
- Helps to lose weight and stay fit
- Effective for people with type 2 diabetes
- Manages blood sugar levels of people suffering from type 1 diabetes
- Reduces calorie intake and appetite
- Increases blood level of ‘good’ HDL cholesterol
- Reduces blood sugar
- Lowers your triglycerides
Foods To Limit or Stay Away From
- Processed snack foods- cookies, crackers, chips, factory-made stuff
- Sugary foods- pastries, ice creams, fruit juices, cakes, candies
- Starchy vegetables- corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, acorn squash
- Refined grains- bread, rice, barley, pasta, wheat
- Trans fats- fried foods, baked stuff, frozen pizza
- High fructose corn syrup
- Beer and alcohol
- Fruits and dried fruits- coconut, citrus, banana, grapes
Foods To Include In Your Low-Carb Meal Plan
- Fatty Fish- herring, mackerel, salmon, tuna, anchovies
- Meat- pork, beef, lamb, chicken
- Seafood- shrimps, oysters, trout
- Vegetables- cabbage, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, lettuce
- Natural fats- butter, cream, avocado oil, coconut fat, olive oil
- Nuts- brazil nuts, almonds, macadamia nuts
- Berries- Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in moderate consumption
- Dairy products- sour cream, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese
- Drinks- sparkling water, lime water, sugar-free coffee, green tea
- Salty foods
A Sample Low-Carb Meal Planner
|Monday||Scrambled eggs with tomatoes, bacon and green bell peppers||Walnut and zucchini salad with blueberries||Garlic shrimp with steamed brown rice, cauliflower and broccoli|
|Tuesday||Low-carb oatmeal with an orange||Keto Caprese omelette with various vegetable||Chicken breast with cherry tomatoes, chickpeas and cheese|
|Wednesday||Milk chocolate muffin with a small banana||Frozen chicken marsala with bell peppers and parmesan cheese||Shrimp salad with vegetables and olive oil|
|Thursday||Low-carb coconut cream with blueberries, strawberries and raspberries||Asian beef salad||Sea scallops and lemon pasta|
|Friday||Chocolate protein pancakes with strawberries||Pasta salad with lemon, tuna and capers||Steak with baked potato, steamed broccoli and cauliflower|
|Saturday||Frozen bacon scramble with melon||Corn tortilla chips with carrot||Pork chops with various vegetables|
|Sunday||Bacon and eggs||Frozen chicken and broccoli alfredo||Grilled lime chicken with spinach salad|
- Cheddar with apple
- Mocha latte shake
- Dark chocolate shake
- Mocha latte shake with banana
- Cucumber dipped in black bean sauce
- French vanilla shake
- Greek yoghurt with sliced strawberries
- Whole wheat bagel with cream cheese
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Handful of nuts and cashew
This low-carb meal planner and beginner’s guide will help you find the best type of diet for yourself.
This meal planner indicates the daily food intake of one person, apart from that it is also necessary to consume fluids. Keep drinking lots and lots of water, plain milk, herbal tea and coffee.
If you’re missing your favourite foods which contain a lot of carbs, then we have alternatives for you!
- Cauliflower pizza base instead of regular pizza base
- Black bean pasta or zucchini noodles instead of spaghetti
- Broccoli rice or brown rice instead of white rice
- Parmesan zucchini fries instead of french fries
- Cauliflower buns instead of a burger
- Graham cracker crust instead of pastry crust
- Dark chocolate instead of white chocolate
- Rice crispy treats cake instead of normal cake
- Frozen kefir instead of ice cream
- Lettuce wraps instead of bread sandwiches
- Coconut water or sparkling water instead of soda
- Tomato chips or cinnamon carrot chips instead of potatoes chips
If you are doing intense workouts daily then it is recommended that you should not follow a low-carb diet. You need more energy to do the exercises and enough time to recover.
If you are stressed then also you should skip following a low-carb diet beginner’s guide.
If you have health issues such as kidney disease or heart disease, refer to your doctor before starting a low-carb meal plan.
Side-effects of Low-carb Meal Plan
If you still decide to follow a low-carb diet when you have health problems, you may develop health risks, such as:
- foul breath
- stomach cramps
- nutritional deficiencies
- high cholesterol
- decreased overall body performance
- decreased athletic performance
Other types of low-carb meal plan you can try:
It is used by people who want to lose weight and they have to eat not more than 50 g of carbs each day.
- Paleo Diet
This low-carb meal plan consists of fruits, vegetables, lean meats, fish, nuts and seeds. It’s effective for weight loss and high in protein.
- Atkins Diet
It consists of multiple phases, firstly fewer carbs and gradually increases till the last phase.
- Dukan Diet
It consists of 4 phases, the first two for weight loss and the last two for maintenance. The last two passes are celebration time after going through a strict diet plan.
Track your diet and pay attention to how many carbs you are eating every day, is that healthy? If yes then keep following it. If not then you should pull up your socks and follow the low-carb meal plan given above, it’s high time now!